The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using 2 drives for 1 account possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by soaringeagle, Apr 5, 2016.

1. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    server info
    Code:
    grep '' /etc/redhat-release /usr/local/cpanel/version /var/cpanel/envtype ; grep CPANEL= /etc/cpupdate.conf ; httpd -v ; php -v ; mysql -V
    /etc/redhat-release:CentOS release 6.7 (Final)
    /usr/local/cpanel/version:11.54.0.21
    /var/cpanel/envtype:standard
    CPANEL=release
    Server version: Apache/2.4.16 (Unix)
    Server built:  Nov 16 2015 23:05:17
    Cpanel::Easy::Apache v3.32.5 rev9999
    PHP 5.6.15 (cgi-fcgi) (built: Jan 28 2016 02:37:15)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2015 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.6.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2015 Zend Technologies
      with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.7.5, Copyright (c) 2002-2014, by ionCube Ltd.
    mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.1.13-MariaDB, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1

i also use litespeed
    none of thats relevant however
    the main site on the servers huge
    i have home on an ssd and media on a sata media includes images music and videos and is way too big for an ssd i can afford, but images are cached on the ssd for fast loads

i tried mounting the sata as /media then in /home/account/public_html/data put media symlink to /media, wich worked untill server reboot and the symlink stopped working
    i was then told to mount the drive as /home/account/public_html/data/media
    wich i was doing all along but after most recent os update it backs up the folders but no data at all from media drive
    additionally new accounts are trying to be created on the media drive

if i mount it as /home/media i think the symlinks might work as well as the backup but still new accounts will be created on the media drive

what is the best solution to have the sites main content on the ssd and the streamming media on a sata..without backup issues

#1 soaringeagle, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2016
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can control which partition new accounts are created on via the following options in "WHM >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel and WHM Setup":

Code:
    Enter the location where you wish for new users’ home directories to be created. By default all directories matching the "Home Directory Prefix" are checked for available disk space and the directory with the most free space will be used.
    Example: /home (Minimum: 0; Maximum: 0)     

Additional home directories matching the following value will also be used for new home directory creations. (Leaving this value blank disables the feature.) This option only takes one value.
    Examples: “home” matches /home, /home2, /newhome, /usr/home, /anythingwith/homeinit (Minimum: 0; Maximum: 0)
    You can specify a specific value in the first option, and leave the second value blank.

Thank you.

3. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    thank you for the fast reply that answers 1/3 of theissues haha
    the rest are, when mounting the second drive inside the account space it no longer backs it up right
    and when i symlinked to a mount outside /home (/media) the symlink was deleted or broken either after a reboot or after using easy apache to do a rebuild
    1 or the other (too long ago to remember) disabled the symlink because it was linkng outside the account space
    so what is the best way to use the sata drive for media and the ssd for the main site content

4. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i thought what you were saying was you can specify to only use a certain directory but was wrong...
    guess i'll try symlinking outside home and hope for the best

#4 soaringeagle, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was suggesting storing the entire account on a separate partition. There's no native support for storing parts of an account on a separate partition. However, we could troubleshoot the backup issue you have reported. Are there any specific entries in backup logs stored in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/ for the affected account?

Thank you.

6. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    well, when i had the drive itself mounted within the account, it worked perfectly up untill june when there was an os update
    after that point, it backs up the directory structure within that mount point but not a single file in those directories
    i then changed the mount point to the /media and symlinked to it from the account
    again it wont follow the symlink in backup
    i now use a cron job using rsync as a backup workaround
    so i am not currently using the backup
    i had a ticket open awhile back opened through hivelocity.net hosting
    they attemped forced backups, the suggestion was to change the mount point wich did not help
    i can give you access if you need it
    but like i said it worked fine before june so something in june (june 30th) changedd and made it stop working with the drive mounted within the account

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It seems like a system issue as opposed to an issue with the cPanel software, but feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look and test a backup generation of that account. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

8. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    7516287 is ticket i included a secondary issue in the ticket as well
    not sure if thats something you support