The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adamwebb, May 13, 2004.

1. adamwebb

adamwebb Active Member

Hi, asked a similar question to this in another thread, but thought I would get better help if it was in its own thread. Anyway.

I am new to using dedicated servers, and got my first one yesturady, now I think I have it all up and running. The next thing I need to do is point my domain to the server. Which is where I am lost. I have tried doing it liek this, but I dont know if it is the right thing to do.

I have got a domain through mydomain.com, which I've had for a year or so, and is still pointing to my old host. So using mydomain I used the register nameserver page and entered ns.beanwebb.com and my server IP as the Ip address, I then did the same again for ns2.beanwebb.com and pointed it to the same IP as the server.

Then I changed the nameservers for the domain, beanwebb.com to ns.beanwebb.com, and ns2.beanwebb.com.

Then in WHM I used edit setup and set the Main shared virtual host ip to the server ip, Host name to server1.beanwebb.com, primary nameserver to ns.beanwebb.com, clicked Assign IP address, then click add an a entry for this server.

I then set the secondary nameserver to ns2.beanwebb.com, when I click assign Ip address it says you are out of ips.

So If I leave it a couple of days will the beanwebb.com point to my new server? I have also setup an account with the name beanwebb.com

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You need to contact your host if you need more ips, most will give them to you free. It would work ok with only one nameserver however it is not the best method. Like I said though it would work if you had to.

DNS takes 24-72 hours to propagate and until the it will be in a state of change. Some people will see the old site, some will see the new. After about 72 hours have passed they should all notice the change. One thing I have noticed is that the UK is horrible for updating dns and might take a week or two sometimes...

But yes just wait and it should all work out.

3. adamwebb

adamwebb Active Member

Thanks, It seemed so complicated that I thought I had done something wrong. When you talk about Ips, in the activation email my host sent me it says

What does IP space mean? Is it anything I need to use?

Thanks for any help.

4. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It means that you need to justify using more then 4 ips out of the ips that you have been delegated.

5. adamwebb

adamwebb Active Member

Oh, ok, so could I use 205.209.134.71 as my secondary nameserver? or doesnt it work that way?

6. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You physically can have all the nameservers on the same ip. It is not the best...but physically it would work. I would suggest binding all of the ips to the box and then assigning ns2 a different ip.

7. adamwebb

adamwebb Active Member

How do I do that?

8. adamwebb

adamwebb Active Member

When I edit a DNS zone I get this error:

Bind reloading on server1 using rndc zone: [server1.beanwebb.com]
    Error reloading bind on server1: rndc: connection to remote host closed
    This may indicate that the remote server is using an older version of
    the command protocol, this host is not authorized to connect,
    or the key is invalid.

I get a similar error to this when I first log into WHM as well, what does this mean?