The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using a shared cert

Discussion in 'Security' started by durangod, Oct 5, 2014.

1. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I set up a shared cert to i could use it for one of my sites, however i get a blank page. So i went to the root whm and made sure that sharing was enabled and it is.

Its been awhile and i dont remember what these are called but i do have them disabled im sure as part of my server hardening.

~username

i am thinking the reason i cant use a shared cert is because i have those kinds of names disabled in my root whm, would that be correct?

If so can you please remind me what those are called so i can go enable them.

thanks

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    that would be correct Apache mod_userdir Tweak is what you are looking for.

Note if you are running mod_ruid2 it will also be disabled

3. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    well as happy as i was to find the shared service not im depressed lmao...

So my choices are to either expose the server via disabling mod_ruid2 or expose it via running non SSL transactions which will cost me business because thats what the customer sees, they dont see ruid2 they just know that its not SSL. Or i could have to get a third cert just for this domain. Wow maybe i should change my business from hosting to selling cert's seems every time i turn around im having to get a new one or dif one.

I wonder which is the lesser evil? Im leaning toward not having the ssl is worse because it directly affects the bottom line. Your thoughts. Anyones thoughts? :)

Or i could just trash my presta shop cart i just spent 6 hours setting up and let them keep going directly to paypal and i can keep it just as it is, no ssl needed and i can keep the ruid2 as well. I do like the idea of the cart but maybe its just not practical.

On the other hand if i leave it as the same then ill have to keep sending emails to customers for the digital products they buy. And what if i get 100 orders, im gonna be totally overwhelmed i cant keep up. I guess if that happens i buy a cert for this domain and finish my cart lol.. I just wanted customers to not have to wait for me and get their stuff faster. We all know when we buy something we want it right then ya know.

#3 durangod, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

One alternative is a self-signed certificate. It provides the encryption to users, but not the verification of who is on the other end. However, ideally, it's a good idea for web commerce websites to have their own signed certificate.

Thank you.

5. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    ty sir thanks for the feedback, i will end up getting a cert i know it lol :)