The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a spam appliance with cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by meganet, Feb 16, 2006.

1. meganet

meganet Well-Known Member

Our company has a few Barracuda Network spam appliances. Has anyone setup their cPanel servers using these type of devices? The issue we're having is customerA's MX record has to point to the appliance. Which puts their domain in the /etc/remotedomain file. However once the mail is delivered to the appliance customerA's MX on the appliance points back to the cpanel server. This causes an infinite loop of the mail and never get's delivered.

Anyone have a solution or workaround for this that you may be using?

2. bigj

bigj Well-Known Member

I use a system like this only a different vendor (Vircom's ModusGate). We however make the MX point to the mail gateway, like you have done, but still make the customers use the cpanel server they are on for sending e-mail. Thus we leave the remotedomains file alone. All our customers use the cpanel server for sending e-mail and only incoming e-mail gets scanned.

In order to get your stuff working I would leave the remotedomains file alone and leave everyone in the localdomains. I think this will work for you just fine as it does us.

But...it sounds like you want to use the new mail gateway to handle both incoming mail for customers and outgoing mail from your customers to other organizations. The only way I see you doing this is if you configure your MX record for each domain to use the mail gateway and a seperate 'A' record for the mail gateway for customers to use to send e-mail to directly. In this way you wouldn't need to touch the remote/localdomains file.

The only hitch is that any e-mail that gets generated using PHP, PERL, etc scripts that's destined for a local domain it will not pass through the mail gateway. I don't think this is a big deal though.

Good luck with the new appliance. I think it's the best way to get the maximum use out of any web hosting packages like cpanel, plesk, etc. Without our device our server would be way overloaded and we would have had to purchase another server. The drawback is the integration isn't there to automatically add/remove domains from them. Most come with API's to accomodate this but require some programming knowledge. Something that is reserved for programmers, which I am not :(

Let me know if this works out for you. Take care

--
    bigj

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'd suggest you search the forums simply for Barracuda as configuring Barracuda has been discussed at length in the past.