The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using an offsite mail server (locally sent mail fails)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by DanceInstructor, Oct 21, 2006.

1. DanceInstructor

I'm using google for domains with one of my domains (has worked pretty well so far). I just moved this domain to a server that I admin directly. I edited the dns zone so that it looked the same as the other server (for the mx entries) before initiating the transfer. The site is resolving to the new server fine. I can recieve mail from other servers to the google mail and send mail from home (pops to pop.gmail.com) fine, but when sending mail from the local server (php mail() etc) the mail just gets stuck in the que. So I suspect that somehow exim or whatever is trying to use the local server instead of sending the mail to google. The results of tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog:

Code:
    006-10-21 18:26:06 1GbPI6-0003bQ-4O <= nobody@********.com U=nobody P=local S=932
    2006-10-21 18:26:06 1GbPI6-0003bQ-4O ** ***@*****.com R=virtual_aliases: No Such User Here
    2006-10-21 18:26:06 1GbPI6-0003bT-J7 <= <> R=1GbPI6-0003bQ-4O U=mailnull P=local S=1842
    Thanks in advance ;)

2. carluk

carluk Well-Known Member

remove the domain from /etc/localdomains and add it to /etc/remotedomains

3. DanceInstructor

That seems to have done it! Thanks bunches :)

4. monkeymojo

monkeymojo Member

Does that take effect immediately?

I had this same issue, and moved the domain from the one file to the other. How long does this take to work? Is it immediate? Do I need to restart BIND, and /or exim? Thank you.

5. carluk

carluk Well-Known Member

It should work straight away without any restart of any of the daemons needed.

6. monkeymojo

monkeymojo Member

You're right - it was working. I just didn't have an email address to test with, so I wasn't sure the tests were going through. When my client got back in the office, they said all the form mails came through. Thanks!