The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using and configuring horde webmail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by JeandreJonker, Apr 8, 2012.

1. JeandreJonker

JeandreJonker Registered

Apr 8, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

Let me start off by saying I'm quite new to this whole cpanel 'thing'. That it, I've recently secured a domain for myself and started playing around with some of the functionality of it. So please excuse me if some/all of the questions I'm asking are obvious/'silly'.

I ultimately would like to have a stable and useful webmail front-end for clients and myself to use. And would like this mail service to communicate with gmail so to enable the client to view mail received on my domain as well as that of his/her gmail account (if any).

I decided to go with horde's mail client as it gives quite nice functionality. My question is however, I'm running cpanel v11.32.2 (build 15) and it seems that horde comes pre-installed on my web-server. Is that correct? I tried installing horde manually but their wiki suggests I use PEAR to install the software. The only problem is i cant seem to find PEAR on my cpanel. Does it come standard with cpanel? Or is it a sort of 'value added service' that one should request by ones hosting provider? If not, How could I install/active PEAR as I imagine it makes life a lot easier when it comes to adding functionality to ones website.

Also, if I presumed correctly and horde is 'pre-installed' on this version of cpanel, is their any why possible fo me to make it my default webmail client for all users without having to create a sub domain for it? That is, some how edit the file structure so that I could for example access horde (and the webmail server) via or ? If at all possible, I would like to bypass the cpanel login screen and be directed strait to some form of generic horde login screen. Thus, I would like to bypass that 'cpanel webmail' blue login screen. (This is presuming that horde also has some form of login screen as roundcube does). While on that point, would it be possible at all for me to configure the mail server in such a way that the clients do not have to fill in the domain name in their username. That is, that the mail server automatically adds the at the end of the username, so that clients only fill in username(w/o @domain)/password.

Lastly, once again, assuming horde is pre-installed, is it the complete horde webmail Horde Groupware Webmail Edition? Or does the Horde Groupware Webmail Edition have more functionality above that which is pre-installed on cpanel?

Thus, to summarise, I would like to know how/where to activate PEAR, how to make horde default without a sub domain, how to bypass cpanel webmail screen and go directly to horde login screen, how to auto-append domain name to username.

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Horde is default available and can be turned on or off in WHM > Tweak Settings > Enable Horde Webmail option.

There are also two other webmail clients active by default, but you can disable them if you do not want to use them. Those webmail clients are Squirrelmail and Roundcube.

Next, PEAR should already be installed. You can see if it is in root SSH by running the following:

whereis pear
    You can install individual PEAR modules in WHM > Software > Module Installers > PHP Extensions and Applications Package Manage link.

As for having Horde on a subdomain, it should be available in the cPanel accounts for users under the WHM > Email Accounts > More dropdown > Access Webmail area when you create an email account there. The webmail icon itself (in cPanel home area) is only for the default cPanel username account rather than for created email accounts. Created email accounts need to access it using that area of cPanel that I noted or using where is the account's domain name.

Now, because of security tokens where you have the cpsess in the cPanel urls, you cannot actually bypass the webmail screen easily. Additionally, cPanel doesn't support logins without the domain name for webmail. You might be able to script something to pass that to the login area or to get to Horde directly, but I'd suggest posting in the cPanel developers area (cPanel Developers) for those questions.