Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Using Composer In Jailed SSH

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rangka_kacang, Feb 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rangka_kacang

rangka_kacang Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello.

I was searching for keywords "composer jailed ssh" on this forum and return no result.

Due to my developer-friendly/oriented environment setup, I plan to give my shared hosting users a Jailed SSH + SSH keys without compromising any security impact but I'm also quite skeptical whether Composer is globally accessible in this mode or not. While I understand it's best not to give out shared hosting users SSH access, I'm now running CloudLinux OS in CageFS if that matters. I'm just curious how to integrate and make it possible for them to use Composer with cPanel - the best possible method.

A lot of people ignorantly believe that SSH access is opening the door to being hacked. While I beg to differ! Almost every major exploit that I can think of in recent years for Linux, could have been done via a cron job, PHP, CGI (Perl), and Python to name a few. While yes, disabling SSH access does make it a tiny bit harder for an attacker to compromise your server... even a moderately experienced script kiddie would then try to run the exploit via PHP or a CGI to get around the lack of SSH access.

Thank you.

#1 rangka_kacang, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    rangka_kacang likes this.
  3. rangka_kacang

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello.

I appreciate your reply. Thank you for the heads up on installing Composer for CloudLinux OS. But my initial question was if it is possible to make it work within Jailed SSH feature of WHM and what is your opinion on this matter in terms of security point of view?

My original idea was:

CloudLinux OS + CageFS + Jailed Shell + SSH key + Alternate SSH Port + Composer

I think this is secure enough to let my shared hosting users use Composer?

Thank you.

#3 rangka_kacang, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rangka_kacang

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello.

CloudLinux always create inter-marriage problems and reinvent the wheel like PHP selector vs EasyApache4 now CafeFS vs WHM Jailed SSH Tweak. That's why I got confused.

I think I get it now, you can mark this thread as solved. Cheers!

Thank you.

cPanelMichael likes this.