Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Using cPanel for Classroom Student use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mwynne, Oct 27, 2017.

1. mwynne

mwynne Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi,

I am looking for suggestions for setting up WHM/CPanel for use in the classroom for web design classes.

First of all, is there anyone out there that is doing this currently? If so, would you be willing to share how you have it configured in your environment?

My current issue that I am trying to get past is this: I have set up instructors as resellers in WHM so they can manage their students' accounts and get into files to check work, etc. The problem is, some students have multiple classes with different instructors. I would like to be able to accommodate this without having to create multiple accounts for the students. The only solution I have been able to come up with is to have a shared "Instructor" reseller. This, of course, is a horrible idea from a security perspective. Is there any way to assign a user to multiple resellers?

We would, also, like to figure out some directory integration (either AD or LDAP) but it looks like this is only possible through the use of 3rd party SSO applications. Any suggestions on this would be great, too.

TIA

Mark

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, it's not possible for multiple resellers to own a single cPanel account. You'd need to either have the student share their password with the instructor, share a single reseller account between multiple instructors, or setup multiple cPanel accounts for the students.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelAdamF

cPanelAdamF cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    @mwynne - This is a very interesting use-case of cpanel, actually. Mind if I reach out to you via PM and ask a few questions?

4. mwynne

mwynne Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Certainly, no problem.