The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using domain level MX records instead of local MX records

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by deshg, Oct 16, 2014.

1. deshg

deshg Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi all,

I use cPanel (without whm on this account) for a number of domains within the same account. For some of these accounts we are only using the related hosting for website hosting, the email is hosted elsewhere.

The DNS records are set at the domain level with the A record pointing to the dedicated IP for our account and the MX records pointing to the related remote mail server. This works as expected.

The issue is that when emails are sent from other domains that are setup with local email in the same cPanel account it routes the email locally and not to to the remote mail server. I understand that if i manually setup the MX records within cpanel then this will work but I really do not want to do this as it means if they change then they will need to be manually changed at domain level and within cPanel and this will have to be done individually for all domains that use a different mail server.

I am told by my host that the only way to make this work is to define the MX records at domain/registrar level AND separately in cPanel. But i wanted to check with you guys whether there is any way to get cPanel to just lookup the domain/registrar level MX records so they don't have to be duplicated locally (and will propagate automatically if the MX records are changed at domain/registrar level in the future without having to manually change them in cPanel)?

Thanks very much,

Dave

2. deshg

deshg Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    From what i can see i just need to delete all MX records from within cPanel and then set it to 'remote mail exchanger' and then it seems to route correctly. If this is incorrect for any reason then please do let me know, otherwise this is solved!

Thanks,

Dave

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, you simply need to ensure "Remote Mail Exchanger" is selected under "MX Entry" in cPanel. This does not alter the MX record, but ensures the domain name is in the /etc/remotedomains file so that local mail is routed correctly.

Thank you.