Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Duplicati 2.x to backup to Google Drive

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by jerrac, Aug 28, 2017.

1. jerrac

jerrac Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I work at a college and I've been configuring a bunch of my non-cPanel servers to backup their data to Google Drive. I use Duplicati 2.x to do so.

Has anyone who reads this used Duplicati on a Cloudlinux or cPanel server?

I use Apache as a proxy so I can put LDAP auth in front of Duplicati's web ui. On cPanel, I was thinking a duplicati.conf file in /etc/apache2/conf.d configured with a vhost listening on an odd port. That's basically what I've done on my other servers.

Would /etc/apache2/conf.d/duplicati.conf stick around when upgrades are run?

Duplicati requires Mono to be installed. Would adding the CentOS7 mono repos to CloudLinux cause any problems? Would they stick around as long as CloudLinux is on version 7.x?

Thanks!

#1 jerrac, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I've not seen any discussion of the Duplicati software here on the cPanel Forums, but I'm happy to help answer your configuration questions.

I recommend using the Pre Main Include section in "WHM Home >> Service Configuration >> Apache Configuration >> Include Editor" instead of creating a new configuration file:

Include Editor - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

This will ensure the changes are preserved through rebuilds of the Apache configuration file and through updates.

Apache is managed through EasyApache 4 in cPanel and thus you'd have to build a custom package for an Apache module such as Mod_Mono. This is unsupported, however we do provide a guide on building custom packages at the following URL if this is something you'd like to pursue:

ea4.ninja

Thank you.

3. jerrac

jerrac Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Apparently I wasn't subscribed to this thread...

The main point of Duplicati was to enable backups to Google Drive. I did some research and found that you added Google Drive as a target in 66. So I was able to get the server upgraded, and now I can skip setting up Duplicati.

That said, Duplicati has an impressive breadth of options. I'd love to see someone turn it into an addon that would let users manage their own backups and restores through it.

Oh, and it does not need Mod_Mono. It just needs mono to be installed on the server. The best way I found for that was to add the mono project's yum repositories to the server. So that's what I was asking about.