The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using External DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jamo99, Nov 20, 2008.

1. jamo99

jamo99 Member

First Question:

I'm moving DNS from my cpanel servers to my NOC's DNS servers. When I create a new account, I have the option of saying "Use the nameservers specified at the Domain's Registrar (ignore locally specified nameservers)". Is there a way to update the existing accounts to also ignore the locally specified nameservers?

Second Question:

Once I've moved all of the accounts to external DNS servers, can I simply turn Bind off or there something else I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

2. jamo99

jamo99 Member

Any takers

Any takers? :)

3. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A couple of years ago during a migration of a small company we bought, we used shell to change the name servers, I cannot remember the exact script we wrote but ir was a find and replace deal. Once done we also had to increment the name server serial by script from cPlicensing.net, I am sure they still have it, if not I have a copy of it.

Not sure about the bind question but it sounds reasonable :D You might frop cPanel a ticket about it.

4. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Why on earth would you even want to do this?

5. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have no clue, I guess jamo99 would have to answer that. Maybe they feel like they are more reliable than their system, or the NOC center has dns on more than one server and they cant afford to set up a dns only system somewhere else.

6. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry; I felt bad about that post when I read it afterwards, it wasn't particularly helpful.

The point was that there's little advantage in doing this and in fact it's probably an impediment rather than a help in the long term. I know it may appear to be a help, but it actually will make absolutely no difference to anything. An important point to make is that incoming email is queued when a server is down even if DNS doesn't resolve. The only case where external DNS may be a help is if you have services provided by things outside your server which are pointed to by DNS from your domains. Eg you host domain.com and they have an external mail server (exchange) on mailboston.domain.com which is hosted at their site.

If you do decide to do this, to save yourself much later grief I recommend you delegate everything to ns1.somenameserverdomainyouregistered.com/ns2.thesame as you can then move it back if you need to at a later date.