The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using filters to bounce messages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ericjay, Feb 18, 2004.

1. ericjay

ericjay Registered

Aug 31, 2002
    I would like to use the Email Filtering feature of cPanel to help control spam. My goal is to take some of the most commonly spammed addresses on the domain (i.e. contact@, info@, etc) and have them bounced back with a message that provides a valid e-mail address to a human being who may have sent a real e-mail.

My strategy was to set up a filter like so:

$header_to: contains "" / :fail: 'This is not a valid e-mail address. Please e-mail if you believe this message to be in error.'

When I tested it, I found that the filter does a great job of keeping the message from reaching my catch-all inbox, but no bounce message is generated to the sender. Am I misunderstanding the use of the :fail: command? Am I just doing something wrong?

Right now, I don't have true shell access to the server to modify the vfilters file (I'm stuck in JailShell) but if need be, I can request access from my service provider.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Jay
  2. Michael-MS

Michael-MS Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2003
    2 years later... is there a solution for this yet? We can bounce the default address but using :fail: no such address here, does not bounce for email filters. Help?

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Go on, have a guess
    AFAIK, you can't because by the time the email gets to the filters it has already been accepted for delivery. If you did generate a bounce at that stage you will almost always send it to an innocent party and run the high risk of being listed in an RBL. If you want to perform a genuine bounce at the RCPT stage you'd have to use an ACL in the exim configuration.