The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using forwarders--doesn't use SpamAssassin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doni49, Mar 1, 2007.

1. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

I'm using forwarders to pipe messages. But I need to find out the spam score. I'm noticing that forwarded messages don't have the X-SPAM header.

SA IS enabled.

Thx!

2. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

I just got the following reply from my host.

I'm forwarding messages to a pipe script. Is there anyway to have the script feed the meesage to SA? I could write the message to a temporary file and tell SA where to find the file.

And if so, I'd need a way for SA to tell my script that it's done. Part of what I need a script to do is to read the spam score. Even if SA were to move the message to diff folder, that would be fine.

If there's a way to do that, then that would meet my needs.

Thanks.

3. WebmastTroy

WebmastTroy Well-Known Member

In an effort to help future people that might find this thread, I'll post this.

The only way I've found to scan emails that are supposed to be forwarded to another address is to ALSO create a POP3 account for that forwarder. You could set the space limit of the account to somewhere around 10-50MB each and then make a script that will automatically delete the email from your /new/ folder every few minutes. You'd also need to setup a filter to:

===
    Spam Status
    begins with
    Yes
    Deliver to folder
    /dev/null
    ===

to discard the email found to be spam.

I've tested this with cPanel 11 and this works. I'm sure there is probably some way to rearrange your SA config rules to make it scan emails before forwarding them off the server (without requiring you to create POP3s each time) but I don't know what that would be. If someone knows, it'd be a great resource for people.

4. nsdesign

nsdesign Active Member

Any update on this?

5. alan-tor

alan-tor Active Member

Spam scanning/filtering before cPanel mail forwarder ?

This must be one of the most frequent requests from users of cPanel forwarders: how to scan incoming mail for spam before it is forwarded out via cPanel mail forwarders. I have yet to see a definitive solution, so if cPanel staff could comment it would be appreciated. Even if cPanel staff were to say that it is not yet possible, at least that would be good information.

So, cPanel staff: is there any way to provide spam filtering on forwarded mail, filtering and marking the mail before it goes through a cPanel forwarder?