The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using my 2nd hard drive.

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by erik9, Apr 7, 2017.

1. erik9

erik9 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

Roughly 2 months ago I started renting a dedicated server. I recently used up all the space on the first of the two hard drives, yet I want to continue uploading photos to the 2nd hard drive for the public to see. I wanted to consult members on this forum for alternate possibilities before going the route my hosting provider suggested. I spoke to my hosting company, and they told me this:

"Hello,

Second disk is not parted by default. If you want to use second drive for cPanel you can check following information how to manage multiple hard drives for cPanel: Managing Multiple Hard Drives with cPanel - The cPanel Admin"

Now, I thought about partitioning the drive, installing cPanel on the drive, and possibly creating a new cPanel account via WHM with an entirely different IP address. Before doing so, I would like to know if anyone has a more efficient/easier way of tackling this issue.

Thanks ;)

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You do not install cpanel on your second drive
    you partition and mount it has /home2

cpanel will automatically start adding new users to that drive because its the least used

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You could mount the second drive as /home2 and then move some of the existing accounts that are taking up the space to it using the "Rearrange an Account" option in WHM:

Rearrange an Account - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Additionally, new accounts will default to the home directory with the most free space.

Thank you.

4. erik9

erik9 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Re-arranging an account will not work in my case. Let me better explain what I am trying to accomplish.

I have 2 different websites associated to 2 different ip's with 2 different cpanel accounts. Website 1 takes up 600gb of space, website 2 takes up 1.4tb of space, which equals the maximum amount of 2tb.

What I am trying to accomplish is, to use the 2nd hard drive to continue adding website content for website 1 and website 2, WITHOUT moving either account over to the other hard drive. Is this possible or not?

If so, what's the best method?

5. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    quite possible you can mount the drive as something else not /home?

and symbolically link large folders IE: /images to use the second hard drive

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This isn't supported, but other users have reported success with this type of configuration. Here's an example of how someone else set this up:

SOLVED - Relocating mail folder to save disk space

Thank you.