The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using my domain from Godaddy. - DNS/nameserver question.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Gary Cook, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Gary Cook

Gary Cook Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I have WHM/Cpanel installed on a Vultr cloud server. I have root permissions for this instance.

Would like to use a custom domain I have from Godaddy but when I read your tutorial it seemed to be saying I have to create a DNA records.

Can't I just add the Vultra nameservers to Godaddy for the name in question or is it more complex than that?

I dont know the exact terminologyu but I dont mind whther the custom domain will be a website hosted with CPnael on Vultra cloud or whther its like the home page of my Cpnael, like Hostgator has its main domain Hostgator.com. Basically I know want to use Cpanel to create at least 1 single website on Vultr.

Thanks in advance for any help as it is very welcome.

2. Gary Cook

Gary Cook Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok worked out how to do it.

1. Deploy Vultr cloud server instance with WHM/Cpanel and set it up by following the instructions from Vultr. This was quite simple.

2. login to Godaddy and for the domain in question, swap the Godaddy nameservers from those supplied by Vultr.

3. Add your domain to Vultr here:
    my.vultr.com/dns

This is the part I did not guess. It was not intuitive to me. I think they do it like that as the domain DNS goes through their system rather then direct to the cloud server instance with Cpanel installed. Vultr has a system where the data requested with be server by the closest node to the client so I guess they have to get you to register the domain on their dashboard too and not just with your CPanel installation.

I found it by accident as I was looking around their site for something else. =)

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator