The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Official TOR Blocking Script

Discussion in 'Security' started by Xipher, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Xipher

Xipher Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'd like to use the official python script provided by the TOR project running in 30min-1hr repetitions for updates on a system running cPanel/WHM.

I would like to know if a script that manipulates iptables directly in this manner will either interfere with or be overwritten by cPanel, also will cPanel overwrite my cron entry for it?

I'll admit, I'm a little surprised that the built in 'firewall' function doesn't have a simple check box for automating the blocking of services like this, its as simple as grabbing the CSV file, tossing the IP's contained into a rule, and tearing down and updating every "X"min/hr, I do it without fail on a Windows box even.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. Xipher

Xipher Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I feel bad to bump this 3 months later, but, still not a single post?

3. cPanelJamyn

cPanelJamyn Social Engineer
    Staff Member

Hi Xipher,

There are 'safe' ways to manipulate iptables. I would imagine they'd do this in a sane way, but without seeing the script itself, it's impossible to give you a definitive answer. It does not appear as though you've linked to the script in question (or provided the relevant code for someone to clarify whether or not it looks ok. Do you have a link to the script in question?

#3 cPanelJamyn, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel doesn't provide firewall functionality. There are addon products, such as CSF, but nothing provided directly by cPanel.