The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Progeny for RedHat updates & support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sneader, Dec 26, 2003.

1. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was planning on moving to RHEL due to Red Hat dropping support for RH9, which I currently use. However, the idea of at least delaying that move until cPanel support for RHEL matures, is intriguing.

I have seen Progeny's support for older RH versions discussed briefly here in the forums, but usually as part of a different topic. Thought I would start a topic specifically regarding Progeny and see what everybody's thoughts are on this. From Progeny's web site at http://www.progeny.com/products/transition/

Beginning January 1, 2004, Progeny will offer software updates for users of Red Hat® Linux® 7.2, 7.3, and 8.0, with support for 9 starting May 1, 2004. This service is based on Progeny's Platform Services technology and will provide a flexible migration path for RHL subscribers.

Progeny Transition Service includes the following features:

• Subscribers have access to a software repository containing security updates.
    • If you use Novell®'s Ximian® Red Carpet Enterprise version 2.0 or Aduva®'s OnStage or Deployment Manager for Linux, you can receive updates through those Progeny delivery partners.
    • Subscribers will be notified of security vulnerabilities and available patches.
    • Pricing is $5 per machine per month; or a flat rate of $2,500 per month for unlimited machines.
    • Quotes for custom platform services are available.
    • Limited to x86 support.

I think it's worth $5 a month for me to get security patches for my RH9, at least for a while.

Thoughts?

- Scott

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

This is not a decision you need to make at this time.

RH9 is going to be supported by RHN until April 30, 2004. You can use that time to evaluate the Progeny support offering and the cPanel RHEL support level.

3. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Any additional thoughts regarding the use of Progeny for patches & updates for RedHat 9 ?

- Scott