Using remote mail server

weborder

Registered
Mar 4, 2020
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hello,

I would like to separate web hosting and mail hosting.

To be more specific I need to have all the sites on server 1 running WHM/CPanel and on server 2 to have the mail hosting running exim and no WHM/CPanel.

However I would like all email creation/modification/deletion to be on server 1 side. I dont want to have to create email accounts from server 2. I want to be able to create/modify/delete the email accounts from server 1 only.

Is this possible ?

thanks

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

This kind of configuration is definitely possible. We are also working on Server Profiles which includes a Mail Node and this would be the ideal option for you when it's ready. It'd allow you to link the Server and the Mail Node that way mail would be hosted on the mail node but managed on the primary server.

Until then you'd have a couple of options:

1. point the MX records to your Mail Server and direct your customers to the correct URL to login and get their mail/send mail (a URL that points to the mail server) - this would mean that mail is managed on the mail server

2. The only other option would be to have a smarthost set up the email accounts would exist and be managed on the local server but mail would be routed through the mail server.

weborder

Registered
Mar 4, 2020
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hello,

This kind of configuration is definitely possible. We are also working on Server Profiles which includes a Mail Node and this would be the ideal option for you when it's ready. It'd allow you to link the Server and the Mail Node that way mail would be hosted on the mail node but managed on the primary server.

Until then you'd have a couple of options:

1. point the MX records to your Mail Server and direct your customers to the correct URL to login and get their mail/send mail (a URL that points to the mail server) - this would mean that mail is managed on the mail server

2. The only other option would be to have a smarthost set up the email accounts would exist and be managed on the local server but mail would be routed through the mail server.
Thank you for the reply.

I like the 2nd option as I want my customer to create & modify their email accounts from CPanel.

Can you please point me to detail instructions on how to setup Smarthost?

thanks

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
There are a few threads on this already, check out the following:

whplus

Dec 8, 2007
Behind your business
Let say I host my website on a big provider and I want to create my own vps as external mail server (using mail profile setting) to store all mail data. is it possible to use a cpanel server (using mail profile setting) as an external mail server ?

whplus

Dec 8, 2007
Behind your business
@whplus - sure, there's no reason that wouldn't work. As long as the DNS records are created properly and any local settings (cPanel >> Email Routing) are configured properly, that would work just fine.
I mean is it possible to use my own vps as external mail server just for one cpanel account without clustering with its web server?

buzko

Registered
Jan 27, 2007
I have this same use case, trying to educate myself. I understand the MX/routing part of it; setting correct MX servers will ensure that any email to [email protected] will get routed to my "mail-only" server. However, how will the server get set up with that email account? Do I need to manually perform configurations on exim?

My ideal scenario is this:

- all configuration is happening in cPanel that is running on my "web" VPS;
- webmail UI is done by means of cPanel as well;
- however the exim process (and, more importantly, clamAV) are running on a different machine ("mail only" server);
- I do not need to touch that machine for any user/account management at all.

Is it possible? Thanks!

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@buzko - you should not need to do anything manually in Exim to make that happen. The process would look like this:

-create cPanel account on the webserver
-setup the MX record for your domain to point to the mail server
-create a cPanel account on the mail server
-create the email address on the mail server

Now, if you wanted the mail server to not have cPanel & WHM installed, that would require some additional configuration for sure, but I'm not able to help with that portion.