AlexCl

Feb 19, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I currently use a server with these specs:

Intel Xeon X3440
2x1.5 TB HDD + 1x 60 GB SSD ( for mysql )
16 GB RAM
100 mbps connectivity
Cpanel

As Mysql usage is growing and space is starting to get low, I was thinking of moving MySQL to a different server and using this server for /home only. The new server would have similar specs, just the drives would be 2x120 GB SSD or 2x240 SSD. What would the downside of using this setup be ? Would it take longer for websites using mysql to load ? Anything else ?

Also, would I need Cpanel on the MySQL server?

Thank you.

MilesWeb

PartnerNOC
May 23, 2012
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hello,

I currently use a server with these specs:

Intel Xeon X3440
2x1.5 TB HDD + 1x 60 GB SSD ( for mysql )
16 GB RAM
100 mbps connectivity
Cpanel

As Mysql usage is growing and space is starting to get low, I was thinking of moving MySQL to a different server and using this server for /home only. The new server would have similar specs, just the drives would be 2x120 GB SSD or 2x240 SSD. What would the downside of using this setup be ? Would it take longer for websites using mysql to load ? Anything else ?

Also, would I need Cpanel on the MySQL server?

Thank you.
SAS/SSD drives for just MySQL is always a good option. Try getting the server in the same rack and connect the MySQL over a private network. This will minimize the latency when connecting the remote database. I don't just for MySQL you need a cPanel. If you wish to manage the MySQL users, use phpMyadmin good to go with cPanel.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello :)

cPanel is not required on the remote MySQL server. You can find documentation on setting it up at:

Setup Remote MySQL Server

The "Per Account" MySQL database backups will continue when using a remote MySQL server provided the databases were created in cPanel. I recommend testing a backup generation after setting up the remote MySQL server to make sure it works as you intend it to.

Thank you.