Using SMTP to send mail by logging into a mail account.

Zardiw

Sep 22, 2017
Palm Springs
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Trying to figure out how to log into a mail account on my server via SMTP so I can send mail through it.

Can't find the settings, or how to do this.........

Any help would be appreciated.

z

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
This would typically be a question for your hosting provider.

Typically it would be mail.domain.tld for the incoming/outgoing mail server (replace domain.tld for your actual domain / top level domain)

Reactions: cPRex

Zardiw

Sep 22, 2017
Palm Springs
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This would typically be a question for your hosting provider.

Typically it would be mail.domain.tld for the incoming/outgoing mail server (replace domain.tld for your actual domain / top level domain)
I'm doing that...... mail.xxxxxxx.com for the host.....and using the login for an EMail account there.....

But for some reason my mail client can't connect to the mail server....

I don't know if it's a setting at the server level (It's my server), or at the account level.

I've spent a lot of time looking for it......

Now, scripts ON that account have no problem sending EMail.......

But logging into it from an external location (my desktop) isn't working........

z

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The test I always recommend is using telnet to try and connect from your local workstation to the server, as that would ensure you can connect to the mail ports your host has opened. If not, you may need to use alternative ports your host has setup for mail access.

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I'd suggest trying webmail first (domain.tld/webmail) and see if you can get logged in. If that works, then you know that the password is correct. Is POP/IMAP working?

Zardiw

Sep 22, 2017
Palm Springs
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'd suggest trying webmail first (domain.tld/webmail) and see if you can get logged in. If that works, then you know that the password is correct. Is POP/IMAP working?
No problem with WebMail............

But Webmail runs on the server........

And fwiw I AM the host.....lol

I want to log in externally from my mail client........I can READ messages, but I can't use SMTP to SEND messages..

Which means I can log in fine..........it just won't let me use the server to send mail.

z

Last edited:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the update - just to confirm, you *can* connect with a client, and you can download/receive messages fine, but you're not able to send, correct? If so, I believe we need to try the port testing I mentioned earlier to test the connection from your local system to the server with the mail ports. You'll want to check port 25 as that is the default port for sending messages in most cases.

Zardiw

Sep 22, 2017
Palm Springs
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the update - just to confirm, you *can* connect with a client, and you can download/receive messages fine, but you're not able to send, correct? If so, I believe we need to try the port testing I mentioned earlier to test the connection from your local system to the server with the mail ports. You'll want to check port 25 as that is the default port for sending messages in most cases.
Ok....Will try port 25. Currently using 587 for SMTP........fwiw

z

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Are you using any firewall (CSF etc.). Are you sure that 587 is open? @cPRex said, you can test with telnet (if you have it):

Code:
telnet mail.tdomain.tld 587

Zardiw

Sep 22, 2017
Palm Springs
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Never mind.........had to enable it in WIndows..........here's the response:
220-caboftl.xxxxxxx.com ESMTP Exim 4.92 #2 Mon, 16 Aug 2021 09:23:51 -0700
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@Zardiw - please keep all replies in this thread to avoid confusion.

That indicates your local Windows machine is able to reach the server properly over the port you used to test, which I am assuming is port 25. Can you let me know the error message you're getting in your mail client?

Zardiw

Sep 22, 2017
Palm Springs
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
And here's a suggestion for the developers:
Have a Simple Check Box that says 'Allow SMTP Connections to the Mail Server'.......

Because I have a feeling there is some advanced esoteric place that this is hidden in.........

But the PROBLEM is this: For people like me that are unable to connect via SMTP, what we do is we UNSET every protection/spam safeguard that we can find, while trying to get this to work..........and when we finally DO get it to work, all those protections are GONE.....lol.......cause I'm sure not gonna be able to find them all and probably won't set them for fear of screwing up the basic connection once we get it to work.

You've made it SO COMPLICATED for US, that it's basically a nightmare to get this 'Simple' mail protocol to work........there must be over 15 different settings spread throughout the WHM Gui.........

z

Zardiw

Sep 22, 2017
Palm Springs
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@Zardiw - please keep all replies in this thread to avoid confusion.

That indicates your local Windows machine is able to reach the server properly over the port you used to test, which I am assuming is port 25. Can you let me know the error message you're getting in your mail client?
I just posted it above..........did you not see it.......it says that Telnet was UNABLE to connect

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
SMTP is enabled on all cPanel servers by default.

The piece of code you posted is the default SMTP banner from the mailserver, showing your connection is working properly. If there are other failures, they aren't included in that output.

Zardiw

Sep 22, 2017
Palm Springs
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
So what is that 220 message that says it doesn't Authorize?
Shouldn't it be asking me for a login?
And fwiw, my EMail client says it's 'Unable to Connect'

And why am I unable to connect?