The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the FTP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ClaudiaT, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi, I am a web designer and I am going to be designing and uploading a template store for a customer who uses your cpanel.

I normally use an entirely different web hosting and ftp program and so I am totally new to this format.

All I need to know really, is how do I ftp files and graphics and htm pages online? When I go to the cpanel I dont see any FTP device and I dont see a File Manager. Can you please tell me, once I log in, where do I go to FTP everything online?

Also, if I wanted to just use my own desktop FTP program which is ws_ftp32 what would I put in for the information?

I tried putting in the configuration which includes,

Host Name: designforyourbudget.com
    Host Type: UNIX Standard
    User Name: (her user Name)
    Password: (her password)

but it didnt work.

Is the Host type wrong? and can I even use the ftp program I have or do I have to use the cpanel provided? if so how do I get to the ftp program?

Claudia

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There is a File Manager in cPanel. Depending on how the account is setup it may be possible it's not available for this account though. If its there the title under the icon is File Manager.

If you've been given the main cPanel users login details, the account login details you posted should work fine. If this user has created an addon FTP account for you to have access to a directory, your login would be the username and domain name. For example: hername@thedomain.com

3. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi, thank you for the information but I think I have a new question now :)

I managed to use my own ftp program and put in their IP address instead of their website address for the domain name. And it does seem to work. But now no matter where I try to upload the index.htm page, no matter what folder I try, it doesnt seem to add it to make the home page. I also tried index.html

I tried the www folder, and the overall folder, and the public_ftp folder and the public_html folder to upload the index.htm file but still it wont work. What do I have to do, where do I upload everything?

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The www "folder" you see is a link to the public_html directory. The public_html directory is where you'd add your index.html page to test things out. On the main page of cPanel you should also see an icon for Error Log. If you've uploaded an index.html and then accessed it via thedomain.com/index.html and it doesn't work properly, checking that error log might be useful.

The host for this server might be a better resource for you if there are options missing, or things not working as they should for you.

5. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    There is no FTP icon in the cpanel, at least not that I can see.

When I use my own desktop ws_ftp32 program, and I upload the index.html file to the www directory, still nothing shows up online as the home page, its just a blank page /http://www.designforyourbudget.com/index.html

6. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    When you say the host for your server might be a better resource, what do you mean by that?

If you mean when I try to connect on my desktop ftp program... where it says Host Name? if I put the IP address it connects but if I put designforyourbudget.com it will not connect.

If at all possible, I want to use my desktop ftp, especially since I dont see an FTP icon at all, anyway, on here cpanel.

7. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I looked at the cpanel again and there is no error log icon either.

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    On a default cPanel there is an icon for FTP Accounts, this is not an FTP program, but an area that you create additional FTP accounts.

It (your webpage or domain) does not show up as it appears you've got some DNS issues:
    /http://www.intodns.com/designforyourbudget.com

If you open that URL you'll see those issues highlighted in pink.

The company that manages the server this account is on, is sometimes referred to as the Host. As the website owner, or someone helping the website owner, you are limited as to what you can do on the account, by the Host, or company that manages that server.

When you mentioned previously that you connected ok via IP address, thats because the IP is to the server itself, the problem now is, that the domain is not properly directed to that server.

The Host or Server Administrator might have this removed, only they would know this and is why you should get in touch with them.

cPanel makes the software that is run on servers all around the world, but cPanel does not manage the server you're trying to connect to and add a website. If you don't know who manages that server you might ask the person who owns the account for that Info.

I hope that helps explains things a bit more for you. :)

9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Just to add here, if the account you're working with has a dedicated IP address, you might be able to open it with that. For example:
    /http://12.34.55.666/index.html

If you edit the index.html in public_html and then open that IP URL you might see the webpage you're looking for.

This may not work though if the account does not have its own IP address.

10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I believe this is your Host's support page: /http://thedesignshoppe.com/billing/

11. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    When you say this: "If you edit the index.html in public_html"

...how do I edit it?

12. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Just as you mentioned in your earlier post:

You see a blank page as the domain is not pointed to the server properly I believe. SO, if you edit the page, as you did earlier, and you checked via the IP as I explained earlier, you might see that new page you put there.

13. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    We have it all fixed now, it was the name server thing that was the problem. Thanks so much for your help :)

14. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Great to hear. Good luck with the new site. :)

15. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Re: Now the site isnt there

Hello again, I hope this thread is still open for me to ask questions.

I was going along just fine with this site and FTP-ing everything online when suddenly, after getting all of the Angel Templates online, it refused to FTP anymore.

So I tried connecting my other sites on my ws_ftp program and they worked, so I knew it wasnt the ftp program that wasnt working.

Then I tried re-putting in the information like user name and password and it still didnt work.

Then I went to look at the website again and now it isnt even there!

/designforyourbudget.com

Do you think that its something to do with the size? it says on her information that the package is

200mb

... I have uploaded about 7 pages worth of templates at 6 templates per page. So about 42 templates...

She just changed the DNS server thing yesterday when I told her I was having problems with uploading anything... and it was working till just a few minutes ago. Surely that didnt cause this problem at this point, would it?

I emailed the web hosting place yesterday and never got a reply back.

16. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    well shoot! now the site is suddenly there again LOL! I dont know whether to be happy about that or what! I guess I have to only put a certain amount of stuff uploaded at one time, maybe it got indigestion. Anyway sorry to have bothered you.

17. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The site works for me. Since you've just updated your DNS, you should expect some oddness until it (your domain) completely propagates.

18. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Okay does this oddness include things like if I have already changed the addresses on certain pages from www.yourwebsite.com to www.designsforyourbudget.com that it would be working fine then suddenly the page addresses go right back to www.yourwebsite.com so that when I click on the link it takes me to a page not found? Because thats what it is doing now... with the top navigation links where I am using a menucontent.js file

It is very frustrating.

19. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    also, while Im at it, I would like to ask ... why is it that on this site, I cannot delete anything on my ws_ftp32 program when I am uploading things? could it be that its because she has the Linux thing? I know that causes lots of problems with the fact that you have to have everything just perfect like Thumbnail can't be thumbnail it has to be spelled exactly the same etc... but can it cause these problems with addresses changing back to how they were and me not being able to delete anything on my ftp program?

20. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Like, right now for instance, if I go to the top and click on the drop down menu for the Angel templates, suddenly I cannot go to the pages because it takes me to www.yourwebsite.com etc... like it did before I changed everything to her address. All day I have been able to go to the angel templates pages from the drop down menu till now. And I reuploaded the menucontent.js page just to make sure with the new addresses but still it takes me to the www.yourwebsite.com thing