The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using two hard drives with one account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by letheos, Dec 21, 2003.

1. letheos

letheos Member

Hi,

I have a server with two hard drives, and I only use it for my own site (no "customer" accounts).

Is there a way I can use the second drive for additional storage, but from the same account? I host lots of large a/v files, and I'm hoping that distibuting them across two drives might speed up the downloads for visitors (since both drives would be working half as hard).

I also would like not to have to have a second domain name for the files on the second drive, hence using both drives with the same account.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Just move one or more of your site directories from the first drive to anywhere on the second one and use symbolic linking to redirect the original ones to the new location.

eg.
    Say your site is at
    /home/username/public_html
    and you have directories like vids1, vids2, and so on. You want vids2 on the 2nd drive and the 2nd drive has been formatted as "newdrive", just do this...

The vids2 directory will now be located on the 2nd drive but will, in every way shape and form, appear to be where it used to be.

3. letheos

letheos Member

Awesome! Thanks squirrel! :D

4. letheos

letheos Member

Actually, one more question comes up now:

The "symbolic link" to the directory on the second hard drive is working fine in SSH and with cPanel's File Manager, but it doesn't work through FTP. FTP client returns "No such file or directory". Not sure why, since the "www" link to the public_html directory does work with FTP.

Any suggestions?

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Should work. Maybe the permissions are wrong. They need to be 777 for symbolic links.

6. CHIngs

CHIngs Member

even if the the directory is CHMODDED 777 it doesnt work, can anyone help?