The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using wrong IPs in resolv.conf reason for slow ftp pop3 access?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pingo, Sep 19, 2003.

1. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

I read somewhere (?) that using wrong IPs in resolv.conf could degrade the servers performance. I have one servers with performance problems. On my servers I have created an account with anonymous nameservers ns1.anonymous1.com/ns2.anonymous2.com which are used over all of my servers through a trust relationship that has been established. The server I'm experiencing problems with is a slave server. I checked its resolv.conf yesterday and noted that it uses IPs for the data centers nameservers while my other slave servers uses the IPs of my own anonymous nameservers.

Could this be the reason for slow ftp and pop3 access on on this server? Does anybody her know if using the data centers IPs are wrong? If so should I change IPs in resolv.conf to the IPs of my own nameservers? I'm a little afraid of doing this as I have not set up DNS for this trust relationship myself.

Hope that someone here can lend a helping hand.

Thanks
    John

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

It could very well be the cause of slowness.

Try

dig yahoo.com
    dig cpanel.net
    dig darkorb.net

at the command line. If they don't come back instantly then change the servers to faster ones.

3. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

Thanks, that helped alot! - I found an error in resolv.conf of the master server and corrected it. Afterwards dig shows that it is much faster. Again, thanks.

John