The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/usr 84% full

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by philwebservices, Mar 24, 2008.

1. philwebservices

I have a dedicated server with The Planet, /usr is reaching at 84% already. Any suggestions on what to do ? would installing another hard drive and mount it as /usr2 help ? or what applications can be removed?

2. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

It would be up to you as the System Administrator to determine if there are any unneeded applications. It's also not feasible to mount /usr2 because you have no way of telling RPMs to install under that location, unless you create a new partition, mount it and copy everything under /usr to the new partition and make a symlink - although I wouldn't generally recommend doing it like that.

3. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Might want to check to see what files are taking up the most space first. It is quite possible you have some cpanel and/or apache logs not getting rotated that are causing the shortage.

4. philwebservices

/usr almost full

its okay , we will be slowly migrating the accounts to a new bigger and better server where we can customize the formatting of the hard drive. 750GB should scalable enough ... 3GB memory and 2.4 Dual Core Xeon. compared to the 200GB we had before

5. handsonhosting

handsonhosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Something to check would be the Kernels. I had noticed the other day too that my /usr folder was increasing on a number of servers. Happened to be the kernel updates that we were runing and it was storing all the previous versions there too. :) Killed off the old ones that weren't needed, and we were back to normal again.

Might be something to have a look at.