The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/usr full ...! ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maxhost, Jul 8, 2002.

1. maxhost

maxhost Well-Known Member

ok i have /usr 97% and cannot creat new accounts on that server.
    Should WHM not clean this automatically afther going over 90% -95% ??

Is there something wrong ?

I have now clean
    rm -rf exim_*
    rm -rf *.3 *.4
    rm -rf access* error* ssl*

but have still 90%

any other way to clean it better??

thanks

2. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Yikes.
    Well, WHManager can only do so much- you probably need to move some of the larger mostly static files to other partitions.

Think about moving /usr/share to another partition and symlinking it back over.... same goes for /usr/local/apache/domlogs.......

Just be careful and make sure you get the data moved across COMPLETELY before you symlink.

And don't forget to restart apache if you do move the domlogs.

3. maxhost

hmm...WHM should be able to clean things completly from time to time ...

4. awsol

awsol cPanel Test Bitch

I said this before and I'll say it again. cPanel/WHM is only a tool to make administration easier. Never attempt to be an admin with no linux knowledge. Go get yourself a book. Possibly &Linux for Dummies&. It's really pathetic to see all these people with barely no knowledge trying to become the next major ISP. Ok enough ranting from me. Just opened my eyes. But I'm sure I could write a fucking book about this.

5. snowgod

snowgod Well-Known Member

As awsol said, WHM does not replace good administration skills. WHM and cpanel keep administrative overhead DOWN, they don't replace people. If you can't handle deleting a few logs files or moving a directory yourself, maybe you need to take a good hard look at a new industry.

Maybe WHM should make coffee and answer the phone as well?
    &/rant&

6. maxhost

hmmm .... my basic question was &why WHM does not clean thing as befor& and not &how to move things..& Perhaps i wrote it the wrong way....
    I now i can move this.
    But moving things around does not solve the problem...

7. awsol

awsol cPanel Test Bitch

[quote:6a72e4858a][i:6a72e4858a]Originally posted by snowgod[/i:6a72e4858a]
    Maybe WHM should make coffee and answer the phone as well?
    &/rant&[/quote:6a72e4858a]

Shit that sounds good right now. Surely need some coffee. Not to mention all the phone calls I'm getting from customers. Nick please implement this ASAP.

8. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

[quote:9cf5dac349][i:9cf5dac349]Originally posted by maxhost[/i:9cf5dac349]

hmmm .... my basic question was &why WHM does not clean thing as befor& and not &how to move things..& Perhaps i wrote it the wrong way....
    I now i can move this.
    But moving things around does not solve the problem...[/quote:9cf5dac349]

Moving things around didn't solve anything?
    OK, I'm assuming you have other partitions other than /usr, right? If you move these file structures I've mentioned, and you dont' have any change in usage %, then you are moving things to the same partition that they started on.

I guarantee you will alleviate space if you push these directories to other partitions (mount points), etc.

9. maxhost

thanks for help awsol

;)

10. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

dont forget /usr/local/apache/domlogs/

this is where all clients access and bytes logs are stored.

if you want to just remove the access logs then you should do somthing like this.

cd /usr/local/apache/domlogs
    for i in `ls|grep -v &bytes&`;do rm -rf $i;done

that should not remove the bytes logs. Just incase you may want to make a backup of the logs dir to /home/ first.

11. ecoutez

ecoutez Well-Known Member

WHM cleaning up partitions - scary!

& /usr full ...! should WHM not clean it ??

Ack, no... how would it know what to clean up? Is it more important to keep log files or clean up more space? You might as well let the maid clean up the paperwork on your desk... just throw away enough so that you have at least 20% workspace available. ;) Automation is nice, but that would be a bit too much for my taste.

Actual recommendations... do you happen to have some unpartitioned space on the drives in the box? In these days of huge drives, I generally leave a few gigs unpartitioned just in case I get in a position such as this. I'd recommend creating a /usr/local/ partition of adequate size. Perhaps /usr was a bit too small to start with?

If you don't have some unpartitioned space, follow the good advice here and move the stuff in the larger directories like /usr/local/apache/ to /var perhaps? Look at the current file systems and see where you have room, move the data, and symlink it.

If you want some more automation, I suppose it would be neat if CPanel sent an email notification when any partition reached some preset limit. But you can also just look at the situation either in the shell (df -h) or in WHM's &Server Information&. I suppose it could be another one of those green dots like &partition health& but that's really pandering to the lowest common denominator.

- Jason

12. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

Actually chkservd does send a Drive Space Warning email when a partition is used up by about 84%.

13. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

i think one of the problems is you guys partition you drives wrong. I used the redhat auto partitioner once and noticed that it gave /usr and /var small sections of the disk. I'll give you a example of what i do here with a 40gb drive.

/boot = 30meg
    / = 3GB
    /usr = 5GB
    /var = 5GB
    swap = 500meg
    /home = rest

On a shared server here (one with mad clients) i use a this method. (raid 5 4x60gb drives 1xhotswap spare)

/boot = 30megs
    / = 10gb
    /usr = 30gb
    /var = 30gb
    /home = rest (about 100GB)

on shared server's i give alot of extra space in /usr and /var probably more than i should but in my eyes, i dont want to run into space issues down the road.

right now, the biggest /usr dir on a shared server is using about 25% of it's space. that has about 240 clients on it.

Since cpanel stores all access logs in /usr /var/doesnt really need to be very large. I kinda wish they would have used the default /var/log/httpd/ but they didnt. oh well.

14. maxhost

ok thanks to shaun, ecoutez and moronhead for help.

15. ecoutez

ecoutez Well-Known Member

Shawn - that's an easy change

I'm sure you realize, but for those that might not... you can really put your logs wherever you'd like. Just move the current contents of /usr/local/apache/domlogs to some directory like /var/log/httpd/domlogs/ (while Apache is down), symlink /usr/local/apache/domlogs to /var/log/httpd/domlogs, and start Apache again.

I agree that logs really 'belong' on /var, but it's a personal preference... and one easily corrected to suit any particular whim.

- Jason

16. hst

hst Well-Known Member

Just FYI

IF you recently did the apache upgrade using the easyapache.sea file, be sure the .sea file was removed. It is big and takes up a lot of space. I did the upgrade and went from 77 to 100% until I cleaned out the file as recommended in the WHM documentation on this site.

Why don't you all get off the rant and rave. A poster just had a simple question and looking for advise. I thougth thats what all the posters were hear to do was to provide support to each other. Sounds like a good idea to not have to be a Linux administrator to be a hosting provider. I actually thing WHM does this pretty good and is getting better all the time. Hope all you who use Windows based computers know how to go into the command line and edit files after all Windows is just a Gui for a kernal. Thats what I look for, one day to stop using Linux (SSH) to administer some of the task and for WHM to do almost everything. The poster had my vote!

17. snowgod

snowgod Well-Known Member

Rant and rave?

I'm simply saying that software will never replace people. Bottom line. If you don't know how to run your server from a bash prompt should the need arrise, then be prepared to deal with the consequences and rather then spending time at that point asking why the software doesn't do every possable little thing for you, take that time and fix it yourself and put in a feature request if you feel like it.

I stand by my statement that if you can't handle yourself at a bash prompt (expecially doing something as simply as (re)moving files) then you need to pick a new industry.

Why doesn't your Honda drive itself to the gas station when it gets below a quarter tank? Should you blame Honda if your car runs out of gas?

And yes, if you run a Windows [b:1d61158330]server[/b:1d61158330], you should know how to get down to the nuts and bolts of a machine if the need arrises. If you think everything you need may need to do on a Windows server has a pretty little GUI interface, you are sadly mistaken.

18. hkewell

hkewell Well-Known Member

How to move /usr/local/apache/domlogs to other folder ?

Which one command for type ???

And Which one file for edit /usr/local/apache/domlogs to /var/log/httpd/domlogs/ ????

Please help me !

Thanks

19. superiorhost

superiorhost Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a question about moving the largest part of /usr to a disk, like /backup that has plenty of room available...

someone above mentioned moving things like share, and the logs,,
    but would it be a problem to move the whole /usr/local directory to /backup/local and simlink it there as a whole?

I know this is a highly used area, and wondering if all items inside would have to be linked over, or if linking the whole /usr/local would work without causing the server to freak.

said hard drive was formatted 2.5 years ago, and not done well for cpanel.. it has a 2.5 gig /usr and 1.4 of that is the local directory. after cleaning logs and such, it is at 94%, so just wondering about a big fix. I will be moving onto a new machine before too long, but let's face it... this needs addressed now.

Yes.. no.. ??

Thanks,
    Tim L

20. taivu

taivu Well-Known Member

[quote:ba8ff85988][i:ba8ff85988]Originally posted by ecoutez[/i:ba8ff85988]
    I agree that logs really 'belong' on /var, but it's a personal preference... and one easily corrected to suit any particular whim.[/quote:ba8ff85988]

Logs *do* belong to /var/log, not just according to you and me.

Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS):
    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/

5.10 /var/log : Log files and directories:
    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-5.10.html