The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/usr full

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nitaish, Feb 2, 2008.

1. nitaish

nitaish Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hello,

I have found /usr 100% full in one of the cpanel servers. I had allocated 5 GB to the /usr partition. Now the partition is full. I am not able to find out which is the unwanted data which is consuming all the usage. Can anybody tell me ideally what is the data which gets filled up in the /usr directory and which can be deleted?

2. mitgib

mitgib Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Not that it could be deleted, but your /usr/local/apache/domlogs is probably several gigs worth of that space. 5GB for /usr is really too small, but short of wiping your server, you may just wish to create someplace for the domlogs and then symlink it there where it will have plenty of space.

3. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

If this happens to be your domlogs, you may want to force some log runs for the particularly high traffic user a bit more often. Moving logs to somewhere else may be a fix for space but parsing extreme log sizes is a bit of a task. I would prefer parsing smaller logs more often myself and thus most likely prevent the need of relocating log files.

4. definedmedia

definedmedia Member

Is there any vaalid reason I woul dhave domlogs for domains not on my server?

5. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

No, there is no valid reason for that. It sounds like you moved into a box that a previous client used and your DC didn't fully cleanup all traces of their old client. I would double check httpd.conf for cleanliness as well as other related areas such as /var/named /etc/passwd and so on.

6. trevHCS

trevHCS Well-Known Member

As a sidenote, if you want to zap the log files back to 0 bytes but still keep them working you might need to issue the command
    Code:
    echo -n >/path/to/filename
    ...rather than just delete them as they don't seem to get recreated with the right file permissions and thus won't update.

As for 5GB - one of the log files on one of our servers tends to hit about 20GB on it's own! :)

Trev

7. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

20GB? u got logging set for 0 ?

8. trevHCS

trevHCS Well-Known Member

Got it running via our own script and 0's the files every month instead of using the Cpanel / WHM settings, but it's just a very popular site with a heck of a lot of forum pages all of which generate lines in the log files....and eat the server space. :)

Also running Google Analytics on it now to see if we can get away from that log file approach.

Trev