/usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup doesn't exist - help!

Clawr0a

Jun 11, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Why doesn't this file exist? How can I enable it?

There are some weird behaviors in my backups. I'll be making a backup and wait on the ''per your request, no email will be sent" page.. then when i click 'go back' it shows another backup in progress started at pretty much the exact time that i clicked go back. keep in mind im clicking the button go back and not in my browser bar.

anyway, how can i enable logs??

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
From your description it appears you are performing a backup from within the cPanel interface. The problem you are describing should be taken up with your web hosting provider (assuming you don't have root access to the server).

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Why doesn't this file exist? How can I enable it?
That log file should be generated on every backup.
There are some weird behaviors in my backups. I'll be making a backup and wait on the ''per your request, no email will be sent" page.. then when i click 'go back' it shows another backup in progress started at pretty much the exact time that i clicked go back. keep in mind im clicking the button go back and not in my browser bar.

anyway, how can i enable logs??
Sounds to me like a browser cache issue, or, that page had not updated as fast as it could have to give you the proper details. Guessing of course.

How are you looking for this file/directory? via SSH logged in as root, correct?

Clawr0a

Jun 11, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That log file should be generated on every backup.

Sounds to me like a browser cache issue, or, that page had not updated as fast as it could have to give you the proper details. Guessing of course.

How are you looking for this file/directory? via SSH logged in as root, correct?

Yes.

[email protected] [/home/*]# locate cpbackup
/etc/cpbackup-exclude.conf
/etc/cpbackup.conf
/etc/cpbackup.conf.cache
/etc/cpbackup.public.conf
/home/~/cpbackup-exclude.conf
/home/~/.cpanel/caches/config/_etc_cpbackup.conf___~
/home/~/.cpanel/caches/config/_etc_cpbackup.public.conf___~
/home/virtfs/urircd/var/cpanel/configs.cache/_etc_cpbackup.conf___~
/home/virtfs/urircd/var/cpanel/version/cpbackup-excludes-v2
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/clean_user_cpbackup-excludes
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/mount_cpbackup
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/unmount_cpbackup
/usr/local/cpanel/etc/cpbackup-exclude.conf
/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/cpbackup
/var/cpanel/configs.cache/_etc_cpbackup.conf___~
/var/cpanel/version/cpbackup-excludes-v2

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The locate database does not update automatically. You did actually cd to /usr/local/cpanel/logs and check cpbackup isn't there, correct?

Code:
cd /usr/local/cpanel/log/cpbackup
ls -lah

tibbitts

Oct 26, 2009
I did a fresh install of cpanel (release) on rhel6 earlier this week. Cpbackup is schedued to run. The /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup directory was never created. I just noticed that now and have created the directory manually. The backup apparently never ran (though scheduled in cron) until I created the directory; I've now run cpbackup manually, and it seems to now be working correctly.

Our older servers (have been running for years on rhel5 and also the release version) all have this directory, and it's been populated with log files automatically.

Paul

Last edited:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
The /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup directory was never created. I just noticed that now and have created the directory manually.
This directory should be populated on the first cPanel backup generation. Did you allow time for the first backup to generate? You can check to see if the cron job for "cpbackup" exists by running:

Code:
# crontab -l
Also, you may want to ensure "crond" is running:

Code:
# service crond restart
Thank you.

tibbitts

Oct 26, 2009
This directory should be populated on the first cPanel backup generation. Did you allow time for the first backup to generate? You can check to see if the cron job for "cpbackup" exists by running:

Code:
# crontab -l
Also, you may want to ensure "crond" is running:

Code:
# service crond restart
Thank you.
cpbackup was definitely scheduled in cron, to run daily, for several days. After not receiving email notifying me of backup completion for any day, I determined that I needed to create the log directory. After that, and no other changes, cpbackup ran properly from cron.

Paul