The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/upcp consumes huge resource.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sadasan, Feb 18, 2015.

1. sadasan

sadasan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm newbie and have VPS with 4 x 2.0 Ghz, 4GB RAM. OS is Cloud Linux 6.x 64 bit.

At, /var/spool/cron/root
    I found the cronjob which consumed huge resource of cpu and memory.

10 5 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/upcp --cron

When the above job is executed, 4 x cpu bursts up to around 90%,, and memory usage bursts up to 4GB.:eek:
    I was checking it with "top" command from ssh, and once 5:10 came, I saw this action.

What is this job, is it necessary?, what happens if I stop this job?

Any advice would be appreciated.:)

Thank you.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    upcp is the script that updates cPanel and also performs several maintenance tasks that are important to help keep cPanel and your server running smoothly. Sometimes those maintenance tasks can cause temporary increases in resource usage.

We do not recommend disabling upcp. Disabling it may cause more problems than it solves, due to necessary maintenance not being done. Also, because updates will not happen, over time your cPanel version will become out of date to the point that we cannot support it.

We do give you the option, though, to change the time that it runs, so that it will not run during a peak busy time period on your server. You can change the time that upcp runs, in the WebHost Manager at Home » Server Configuration » Configure cPanel Cron Jobs. Information about cPanel's cron jobs is available here:

http://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/Configure+cPanel+Cron+Jobs

Again, we strongly advise against disabling upcp, because it not only updates cPanel but runs maintenance tasks that really need to happen to keep things running smoothly. If you feel that it is causing too much resource usage, please feel free to submit a ticket and we can look at what is happening on your server and give you advice.

3. sadasan

sadasan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Sorry for the late reply.

Thank you for your detail explanation about upcp. I understood it and will not disable it.
    It works on 5:10 a.m. and not a peak time.:)

Thank you.