The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usr Partition Full.. anyway to resize?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hosterplus, May 7, 2005.

1. hosterplus

hosterplus Member

On install of linux on of my servers usr partition wasn't set large enough. Im no longer able to add DNS entrys or modify many options as they have been suspended due to USR being full. Does anybody know of any ways in non-gui format that I can either resize, or even switch the folder. If not is there anyway I can backup everything on cpanel to a remote host and I mean everything from user accounts to WHM Settings to user databases etc.?

2. fusioncroc

fusioncroc Well-Known Member

Try deleting apache domlog's and log's for now /usr/local/apache/domlogs and /usr/local/apache/logs

That could possibly help with usr being full :)

3. pkirman

pkirman Registered

also same problem sort of :)

on my server, the usr drive is on 78% and most days I get emails saying its full, I have deleted all the files you have said and it hasnt changed, do it take 24hours or something to update the status?

sorry bit new on using cpanel, but can get most information you need if any thanks

Paul

4. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

If you have backed up the partition and all the data on it, you can resize it yes, with linux utilities, is the drive big enough?

Have you checked all your logs and cleared them? U might have one that isnt being cleared automatically.

How big is your partition, and how big is your drive?

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, the simplest thing to do is to move some of the larger directories off of your /usr partition to another one with more free space and symlink them back to the original location. You just need to remember that you have done this should you have a disk failure in the future.

You can resize Linux partitions using the parted utility, but it's not a great idea and you do run the risk of toasting the file system.