The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UTF-8 problems/auto-responders

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rbrt, May 15, 2008.

1. Rbrt

Rbrt Member

(We are using 11.18.6-RELEASE_24255.)

Our users set auto-responders in cPanel which frequently contain French characters. Unfortunately, auto-responses have been turning up with broken characters (like the famous �) instead of é or ù (just for example). If I go to "Add Auto-responder" and fill in the fields, I note that the Character Set is set to UTF-8 (which is as it should be, as far as I'm concerned).

But, if I change the Character Set to us-ascii or iso-8859-1 the auto-responses turn up with French characters intact. Why is UTF-8 the set that breaks French characters?

I saw a thread about a bug in UTF-8 support for cPanel but that looked like it referred to an earlier version. I also note that a View Source on the cPanel page shows that it is served up in iso-8859-1, so I'm wondering if there is a mismatch within cPanel or somewhere else on the server (Apache? Mail spooler? I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if this would be an issue). Is there a setting I can change in cPanel?

I would like to avoid having our users manually change the Character Set each time they set an auto-responder. I'd also like to make UTF-8 work, since it's the one we want to use.

2. xidica

xidica Well-Known Member

I'd like to see some progress in this area as well. :|

3. Rbrt

Rbrt Member

It gets stranger. I've discovered that Apple Mail is actually capable of rendering these auto-responder messages correctly. But if I look at the same exact message in a Gmail web interface (or any of the other web interfaces I've tested) the French characters appear broken.

So if everyone used Apple Mail this wouldn't be a problem! :confused: