Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

valiases / vdomainaliases

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 4UHChris, Oct 10, 2007.

1. 4UHChris

4UHChris Member

If a customer creates an email forwarder, it is written to /etc/valiases/domain

If a customer creates a domain forwarder, it is written to /etc/vdomainaliases/domain

I have one customer who has a domain forwarder set as follows...

domain1.com > domain2.com

If I look in the default email settings - for domain1 it is set to catch-all to the user account mailbox.

So the domain forwarder doesnt work. If you send email to domain1 it is not forwarded to domain2. Instead it goes into the catch-all mailbox

What I'm trying to figure out is why the domain forwarding has not overwridden the default setting. If I set it to :fail: it will bounce so I'm confused as to how this should work.

Currently valiases says "*: username" and vdomainaliases says "domain1.com: domain2.com"

When working correctly, should cpanel remove the "*: username" entry from /etc/valiases/domain ?

2. 4UHChris

4UHChris Member

I have looked at the valiases and vdomainaliases files for an account on a server where email domain forwarding is working correctly.

The entries in the files are the same as mentioned for the domain above that is not working.

I have run /scripts/fixvialiases - no joy.

Can anyone suggest why the email domain forwarding is not working ?