Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Valid measure how long it takes for the reboot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toplisek, Dec 22, 2017.

1. toplisek

toplisek Well-Known Member

I have executed Graceful Server Reboot and A reboot is now in progress …
    without any confirmation.
    I try to execute also Linux command:
    uptime
    If it indicates up 6 minutes, is this valid measure how long it takes for the reboot and it is finished?

2. Greg M

Greg M Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Personally, I would say not necessarily.

This would indicate that your OS has been loaded for 6 minutes, however, that does not mean your services have been up for 6 minutes. It would also not included the kernel boot stage if you have physical hardware.

I would class a reboot as finished once all services have returned to an active state. Uptime would also not include the time it has taken the system to shut down (as far as I am aware).

You may be better using a monitoring service for this, depending on the depth of the service it could break down what has loaded and when (or what hasn't).

Personally, my host offers free monitoring for things such as the switch ports, power, ping, certain ports such as SSH or Apache etc. This can help me to work out how long my server actually takes from the reboot command.

I would generally measure it as from the moment I issue the command to the moment I can sign back in and all services are live. For my dedibox, this can take up to and over 5 minutes currently. I actually have a separate thread looking for feedback on it

Although I'd wait for cPanel staff to respond as they may have an alternative view from me

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...