The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/var is filling up, how to change size ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by odoisc, Jul 27, 2004.

1. odoisc

odoisc Member

A few things from my Server information page :

that /var mount seems to have a limit of 3.9G , and it is already filled for 2.1G . This is mainly because of a big mysql database of the only site on this server. Its a experimental webcrawler/ search engine, and I estimated that I might need about 40G for this. But the problem is that I only have 1.5G left.

Now ofcourse my question is : How can I solve this ? Can I adjust those limits, and decrease /home for 40G and use it to increase /var ? And how should I do that ?

Thanks in advance

2. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

MAybe just symlink the database and move the database to /home, make sure mysql can read from it.

3. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

You might want to make sure your logs are rotating in /var/log. The link suggestion above is really setting yourself up for a failure. Since all partitions are assigned and no free space was left at the end of the disk you cannot grow the file system. Check logrotate and make sure that is running properly will help also.