The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/var/lib/mysql mounted in cagefs

Discussion in 'CloudLinux' started by ThinIce, Apr 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was quite surprised to see that by default, /var/lib/mysql and its database data is included in the CageFS skeleton. Per Mysql issues there appears to be a good reason for this (access to the MySQL socket required) but it still seems counter intuitive somehow, given the treatment of home, tmp, root and such.

I don't however know enough about the CageFS implementation details to know whether this matters enough that it's worth doing something about, so two questions:

1. Are the database files less protected being linked within the cage, even though the directory has permissions such that they cannot be read, than they would be if they were not included?

2. If the above = true, what would be the method to resolve the issue (move the socket) that would not break cPanel MySQL maintenance?

2. Anoop P Alias

Anoop P Alias Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ideally ony the mysql socket being available in the jail should be enough to access mysql. As you said not sure how CageFS sets this up ;so I cant comment on the requirement of the dir in the skeleton

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @ThinIce,

You'll likely receive better feedback on this question directly from CloudLinux (@Bazinga). You can post directly to their forums at:

CloudLinux Forums

Thank you.

4. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Michael, that's true. Perhaps the item from the question germane directly to cPanel is whether the MySQL socket can be changed to a different location in my.cnf for the MySQL server without this causing a problem to cPanel or cPanel upgrades of MySQL. I guess the symlink in tmp would also need modifying off the top of my head...

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You should be able to change the socket location per the instructions on MySQL's documentation:

MySQL :: MySQL 5.7 Reference Manual :: B.5.3.6 How to Protect or Change the MySQL Unix Socket File

Thank you.