The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/var partion is getting full message even after I clear out files.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by noimad1, May 23, 2011.

1. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

At what point does this message go away:

The /var partition on this server is running out of disk space. WHM operation has been temporarily suspended to prevent something bad from happening. Please ask your system admin to remove any files not in use on that partition. .

(this is when I try to edit a dns zone file).

In the past when I see these partition full messages I just go clear out some files and it starts working. however, this time it isn't going way. I've gotten the usage down to 71% on /var but can't get the message to go away?

Any ideas on this one?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

That message should not appear at only 71% usage. Could you try restarting cPanel from the command line to see if that helps?

Thank you.

3. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I've noticed that before also. Seems to have to do with disk caching. I'll see the Server Status showing the same amount of drive space as before deleting files in the /var but usually clicking the Show the Current Disk Usage will show a lower amount (not always) however you still receive the /var is running out of disk space error, even though the latter shows a reasonable percentage verified using ssh. Rebooting normally works.

4. noimad1

You gotta love problems that fix themselves. I waited a few hours and now it is mysteriously working?

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What files did you clear in /var partition? I know when /usr is full and any Apache files are cleared, that a restart to Apache will allow the partition to show the right reduction in usage. It is possible that restarting cPanel or exim or whatever service had the files you cleared would assist in resolving the issue more quickly than waiting for any disk caching.

6. noimad1

I cleared out some files in /var/log/ I did about 3-4 cpanel restarts after clearing files with no luck. I didn't try to restart apache or anything else...If it happens again I'll try some restart of various services to see if it makes any difference.