The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/Var Partition Usage Warning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AliceD, Jun 30, 2015.

1. AliceD

AliceD Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have one dedicated hosting and it's just hosted of 100+ wordpress sites, I am very new to web hosting, previously my developer taking care all of this. But he was left the company few months ago. So no choice, I have to dive in myself to solve the problem.

Recently I had received few email alerts from my hosting service provider said that my /Var disc space already use up to 95%. It sounds very serious and make me worries that what will be happen if I do not take action. When I chat with the hosting service provider, they telling me that increase my disk space of /var is the only solution. But I not sure whether this is the correct way so I posted my questions here, hope I can get some advice.

My hosting partition disk space allocation as per below:

/home 230GB (Usage 136GB)
    /temp 2.0GB (Usage 1.8GB)
    /var 20GB (Usage 19GB)
    /usr 20GB (Usage 11GB)
    /boot 24M (Usage 157M)

From the above partition disc allocation, My questions are:

(a) Since I still have quite a lot of the disc space for my /home and why cannot move some disc space from /home to /var? Is it once the partition and disc space allocation is fixed during the set up, it cannot be change anymore?

(b) The above system partition allocation scheme is the standard way? What is the best partition allocation scheme?

(c) Currently my package is 300GB SATA AND 8GB Ram with 1TB Backup. My hosting provider offered me a FREE additional 1X300GB SATA to get me stay with them. I just wondered whether should i stay with them or move to other service provider. Currently I am paying monthly US$334-00 for a dedicated server and below is the specs:

Processor: Single Processor with 8 Core AMD Phenom II X6-1055T
    Ram: 8G
    Disc Space: 300GB SATA and ITB Backup
    Bandwidth: 5TB (my monthly usage less than 1TB)

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

1. The /var/lib/mysql directory is often a good candidate to free up space in the /var partition. First, let's see if it's the culprit. Please post the output from:

Code:
    du -sh /var/lib/mysql
    du -sh /var/lib/mysql/eximstats
    2. The recommended partition setup is found at:

cPanel - Recommended Partition Setup

3. It's difficult to make that determination because we are not familiar with the service qualify and support of your existing hosting provider. This is something you should research with a qualified system administrator.

Thank you.

3. AliceD

AliceD Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello

Thanks for your reply. Will take a look on this. Really appreciate it.