The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/var/spool/exim/* filling with files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarkB, Aug 6, 2003.

1. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

Hi guys

At least once a day, my /var partition fills with files and won't accept anymore new files etc, which causes various scripts on my sites to fail.

If I go into /var/spool/exim/input and /var/spool/exim/msglog I see a truckload of files such as 19xJIONO879-000Ni etc. Deleting these brings everything back into order.

But could there be a problem causing this? Should these files be flushed out? What can I do to fix it?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

Those are messages sitting in your mail queue. If you have a lot of them (5000+) ls -la /var/spool/exim/input | wc -l then you have a config issue with your machine. You should then either find & correct the issue, symlink that directory to a partition with more space or edit your exim config to expunge messages say after 3 days rather than 7.

To attempt to deliver all of the mail in the queue:

exim -v -qff &

Look for error messages, that will help you ton.

3. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

Hiya - thanks for that. It keeps recurring, so I guess I need to symlink it to a larger partition just to keep everything running.

Question is, how do I do that?:)

4. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

Get used to it! The way exim.conf is written is that any idiot trying to spam the server can do so. I have rewritten my ACL rules to ignore any message coming into the server where the user or domain doesnt exist. That way my queue doesnt get filled with crap. Try getting Darkorb to fix this problem. Why one earth would i want to let my users use fail, /dev/null and blackhole? Thets the dumbest thing iv ever heard of. All that does is allow messages to pile up in the queue. Try stopping people from sending email to undisclosed recipient. Then you wont get a million messages in the queue. DUH! Will i tell you how to do it? Maybe! PM me!

Using my solution, rewritten ACL rules if the email address does not exist on the server the response is "No Such User Here", and thats that way it should be. Why would you allow some drip to send email to the server if the user or domain doesnt exist on the box?

#4 sexy_guy, Aug 7, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2003
  5. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

Care to post the changes you made? :D