The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/var/tmp Spammers Delight - HOW TO Secure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Planet_Master, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Planet_Master

Planet_Master Well-Known Member

So many tutorials on securing and making your /tmp non executable but /var/tmp can be used just as easily for spammers and hackers to run malicious scripts and can really do damage to your system. First and foremost is running php apps like phpBB, make sure you make users aware to keep these programs updated to the latest versions. In reality you should do this yourself before any problems arise and use WHMs Addon Script Manager to update all php apps running on your servers. It is so important to keep your software updated as most times update releases are either for bugs and more importantly security fixes.

So I had a spammer blow 5000 emails from the /var/tmp sending these emails as nobody of course. In this case it was caught immediately as all the emails were returned undeliverable. When I noticed the excessive email load I first had to figure out were it was coming from.

Upon logging into the server I was able to locate the following malicious processes running as the user nobody:
    Code:
    nobody   31385  0.0  0.0  1452    4 ?        S    Aug20   0:00 bash

nobody    4566  0.0  0.0  1456    4 ?        S    00:17   0:00 ./cgi

nobody    4575  0.0  0.0  2160  104 ttyp0    S    00:17   0:00 sh -i

nobody   13500  4.8  0.0  1428  184 ttyp0    R    01:02   0:54 ./f3 200.147.128.xxx 65535 10000

The processes seem to be running from /var/tmp:

Code:
    root@server [~]# lsof -p 13500 | head -n 4

COMMAND   PID   USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE      SIZE     NODE NAME

f3      13500 nobody  cwd    DIR        3,3      4096   245935 /var/tmp

f3      13500 nobody  rtd    DIR        3,1      4096        2 /

f3      13500 nobody  txt    REG        3,3     18132   245809 /var/tmp/f3

I entered /var/tmp and saw a host of files that werent supposed to be there and I knew right away here is the problem. I first deleted all the files except for mysql.sock, which really is the only file that should be in there, and the checked permissions:

Code:
    root@server [/var/tmp]# ls -l

-rwxrwxr-x    1 nobody   nobody      18132 Aug 22 00:02 f3*
    No good to have this folder under nobody, insecure.
    So in order to prevent future problems I did the following:
    I killed the malicious processes, deleted all the malicious files, removed the permissions on the f3 binary and set its owner to root:root, and restricted access for the wget command to the root user only.

This is a basic and simple way to secure this folder and your server but is very effective. So if you are using a /var/tmp with nobody permissions, I suggest modifying as above and save yourself some future headaches.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The simplest way to secure /var/tmp is to delete it and its contents and then create a symlink to /tmp. That way you only have to worry about a single point of security with /tmp

3. sh4ka

sh4ka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    /scripts/securetmp already do this? or it is an extra work that we've to do to secure the directory ?

4. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

The securetmp script does that and ANY GOOD guide will recommend you do the same thing.

5. ilbin

ilbin Member

Even so, with the phpbb's of the world, malicious scripts seem to find their way to tmp directories. What thoughts do you folks have about the idea of chown root:root and chmod 000 for any filenames the script kiddies happen to successfully place there.

It's a band-aide approach, but I'm not sure the scripts push different filenames if they encounter that kind of obstacle.

Any downsides you can think of?

6. astopy

astopy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've tried that, and it doesn't really work. It is trivial for them to try a new file name, so all it does is make it harder for you to spot these files when they're created.

7. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

vi /etc/fstab

Ensue your /tmp partition is set to: noexec, nosuid

Symlink /var/tmp

=)

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I agree with Odhinn, you're going to end up chasing your own tail trying to keep up with that approach. I very good set of mod_security rules certainly goes a long way to helping. Something like:
    http://www.gotroot.com/mod_security+rules