The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verifying RHEL 3 version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by te2586, Jul 5, 2005.

1. te2586

te2586 Member

Is there any way via command line to verify which update release of RHEL 3 my servers are running? The one thing I have seen with regards to this was the redhat-release package, but it seems to be in a up2date skiplist somewhere (though I haven't configured skipping that selection myself)...

I'm also curious if there are any up2date channels that might be beneficial for RHEL3 boxes?
    I have several servers with ServerMatrix/The Planet and therefore don't have access to the RHN network via the web, so command line methods are what I'm limited to.

Thanks in advance!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

/etc/redhat-release does hold your current release information, so long as you have installed the latest redhat-release rpm:

up2date -uif redhat-release

SM/TP, like most large datacentresa use their own RHN mirrors for their customers to use, saving them on RHN and bandwidth costs.

For a server box, there's no need for any channels other than those that SM/TP will be providing for you.