Version 94 Mail Node Production Questions

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
1 - Yes. Since a reinstall would imply a completely new OS and cPanel, that would need to be re-linked to the parent server.
2.1 - No, as the mail gets handled by the parent and then sent to the child server. There are no DNS-level changes with mail node, so incoming mail doesn't know your mail data is located on a different machine.
2.2 - Yes.

p.jiraphat

Sep 25, 2017
Bangkok
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@cPRex That mean either Parent or Mail Node must be never down or need to reinstall system , or else it will need to completely start everything from zero.

BTW from 2. can't cPanel make it possible to reconnect parent node since if mail node still functionality and have up to date email data , and we can't run backup on mail node that mean some email after backup data of parent node will lost for sure even it data still be completely fine there?

Or i'm misunderstand here .When parent overwrite data does new email data still be left there or cPanel will remove everything first and then unpack data from backup of parent?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@p.jiraphat -
That mean either Parent or Mail Node must be never down or need to reinstall system , or else it will need to completely start everything from zero.
I feel like this would be the case even without mail node. If one of the servers has a major failure and needs to be restored, you'd have to start from zero with your backups.

BTW from 2. can't cPanel make it possible to reconnect parent node since if mail node still functionality and have up to date email data , and we can't run backup on mail node that mean some email after backup data of parent node will lost for sure even it data still be completely fine there?
Parent nodes get linked to children. If you need to recreate a child server you would just re-link it and then restore the data from backups. The backups are run on the parent machine and do include all the mail data from the child server.

p.jiraphat

Sep 25, 2017
Bangkok
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@p.jiraphat -

I feel like this would be the case even without mail node. If one of the servers has a major failure and needs to be restored, you'd have to start from zero with your backups.

Parent nodes get linked to children. If you need to recreate a child server you would just re-link it and then restore the data from backups. The backups are run on the parent machine and do include all the mail data from the child server.
@cPRex

in case that mail node fail it understandable that email data got lost but in case of parent node fail I'm not sure that You got what I ask.

Example
- We've run backup cron at 02.00 20-Apr-2021 in parent node (surely email data at that time got backup).
- parent node fail at 21.00PM 20-Apr-2021 but email node still functionality (email data still be there but we can't run backup on it).

The question is when we reinstall parent node then restore and re-link mail node to these parent will email between 02.01 till 21.00 (email data after backup of parent node that still be in mail node) will be there for user to use or it will be lost because cPanel use data at backup time (02.00) to re-create everything in mail node.

p.jiraphat

Sep 25, 2017
Bangkok
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you for your testing and information.

BTW in Linked Nodes Guide. Should had more explain what behaviour does Parent and Child Node do and don't , Pros and Cons.

Since I'm still unable to spot any visible advantage to use when it need separate Fully License for node , it will more easier to just create a new account on the new machine (or transfer old account to new machine too) rather than make it a node for other. At least it will not need to be concern whatever link will broken ,accidently forcefully dedistribute , rename hostname , network bandwidth between node when backup/restore/email receiving etc,.

Last edited:

WebJIVE

Sep 30, 2007
Been looking around and can't find pricing for the mail node anywe

WebJIVE

Sep 30, 2007
BTW, just checked with JetBackup about backing up a mail node. Not sure what this reply means?

Eric Caldwell (WebJIVE), thank you for your response.

Hello Eric,

Since it is a cpanel server so you can install JetBackup on it but we cannot get any information from a cpanel mail node.
When you try to get the mail information from the accounts, you receive an error from the cpanel api call that you cannot get the information from this node and you need to get the information from the parent node.
The response from the cpanel uapi:

Do not send API requests to this node. Send this request to your account’s parent node.

Thank you,

Amal
JetApps Customer Support

Reactions: AzeDK

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
You'll have to verify with JetBackup but I believe that JB V4 will work fine, but JB V5 (latest version) will not. V4 just uses pkgacct function to do the backup. Since that is the native cPanel backup, it should be fine. JB V5 uses their own backup engine, so (at least for now) I doubt that it will work with mail node.

WebJIVE

Sep 30, 2007
Wonder if there's a way to use the built-in cPanel backup for email only and retain JB5 for accounts?

equens

Feb 8, 2002
Can you let me know where specifically you are trying to perform that restore work and where you aren't seeing the mail folder listed?
1º Restore in cPanel: Server 1 - Parent - Standar node

1619421663463.png

2º No mail folder

1619421727827.png

3º Trying to restore from WHM

1619421875886.png
4º Trying to restore /mail from WHM Server 2 - Child - Mail Node

1619422002987.png

There is no way to restore mail folder in any server, parent or child.

WebJIVE

Sep 30, 2007
From JetBackup about restoring for mail nodes. Seems as though this still has a ways to go before we consider it production ready.

Thanks for your update,

Can you run JB4 on the same server and use that to backup the mailnode to S3 compatible (we use WASABI)?
Please note that JetBackup 4 (for cPanel) can only backup data/information stored locally for accounts within the server and any data offloaded remotely (emails, databases, etc) are not included in the backup. I'd also like to add that we use the cPanel restorekpg script for restoring accounts and upon reviewing cPanel's documentation on cPanel account restores for linked mail nodes,

https://docs.cpanel.net/knowledge-base/general-systems-administration/how-to-use-server-profiles/86/

They had the following restoration warnings for offloading emails to a Mail Node server (v86):

The following instructions apply to cPanel account restoration for linked mail nodes:

When you restore a cPanel account, the A records for service subdomains may be different than when you created the cPanel account. Compare the restored zone records to your current records to repair them manually.
You must perform backups for linked cPanel accounts on the controller node.
When you restore those accounts, the system will not restore the link between them.
Resellers must have root-level privileges to restore linked cPanel accounts.
If a reseller without root privileges owns the cPanel account, the following steps occur:
The cPanel account will restore to the local server.
Ownership of the cPanel account will transfer to the root user.
With this in mind, you may use JetBackup to backup/restore cPanel accounts on the controller/standard node. Please also note that at this time, Link Nodes are experimental and are not recommended in production environments. For more information, please visit the following link: https://docs.cpanel.net/whm/server-configuration/link-server-nodes/

Will JB5 eventually support mailnodes?
This may be supported in future versions of JB5 based on public demand, I also request you to open up a feature request at https://request.jetapps.com/ as this helps our team gauge the demand for features and prioritize which to try and implement first.

Reactions: AzeDK

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Been looking around and can't find pricing for the mail node anywe
At this time, there are two options for licensing. Option 1 is to work with a Partner that offers a custom Mail Node license, and option 2 is to choose a standard cPanel license that will accommodate the number of accounts you plan to have on the server.

Backups run on the parent, and include the data from the child.

JetBackup is aware of the product, but they haven't had an update yet that will perform the necessary work, from my understanding. It's in the works, but not available at this time.

Reactions: WebJIVE

WebJIVE

Sep 30, 2007
@cPRex Thanks for the info. Another area of concern is securing a mail node. Since it's essentially a cPanel server, one question would be if you use something like CSF to lock it down, what ports and services do you allow through? I was reading through all the docs and didn't see anything related to that.

WebJIVE

Sep 30, 2007
@cPRex Thanks for that link. I've been down the rabbit hole (in your docs) on this one and this popped out at me.

Warning:
The following intructions apply to distributed cPanel accounts on a mail child node:

We disable the Pipe to a Program option in cPanel’s Forwarders interface (cPanel >> Home >> Email >> Forwarders).
We do not support email forwarders that execute programs. Users can still manually create these forwarders. However, we will not preserve this functionality in future versions.

This would kill programs like WHMCS which use email piping to pull emails (we're a WHMCS shop) so you would need to carefully consider on a case by case basis for each account whether they would need piping or forwarders (future).

No forwarders would eliminate almost half of our email accounts if I'm reading that correctly?