Version 94 Mail Node Production Questions

WebJIVE

Sep 30, 2007
This thread has been enlightening and informative about the mail node. While nodes are nice to have and consider, this is still a new offering from cPanel and what comes with that newness is restrictions - for now.

I have no doubt that a year or more down the road as mail node progresses, it will be more robust and better supported by third-party vendors.

Even for our 2 server environment, I would love to detach mail from the main servers to offload mail just for redundancy (downtime mitigation) but, the current state of the product, we'd probably run into quite a few headaches implementing it at this time, especially with forwarders.

We've had very few requests to restore email accounts but, it's still a possibility and the only way I could see that working with JetBackup (now that we've detached incremental backups to S3), is by downloading a customers account, expanding it, and then uploading the /mail folder. That alone would make this cost-prohibitive compared to the current way accounts are backed up and restored.

Thoughts welcomed!

Reactions: AzeDK

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
After reading this thread and attending the "Live" demo, I'm still baffled as to what the use case / business case is from implementing Mail Node's? From my understanding (which was said numerous times in the Live) right now it's a 1 to 1 implemenation ( one cPanel server to one mail node). In my mind, the use case is to offload mail from your expensive SSD based servers to lower end spinning drive servers (since mail does not need the horsepower / IOPS that web/MySQL does). That, then only makes sense if you can point multiple cPanel servers to one mail node. If you can't do that, then you are just doubling your work maintaining servers and (potentially) doubling your license costs. Sorry, but this just does not make business sense in it's current implementation.

Reactions: AzeDK and WebJIVE
Oct 8, 2020
San Clemente, CA, USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This may be supported in future versions of JB5 based on public demand, I also request you to open up a feature request at https://request.jetapps.com/ as this helps our team gauge the demand for features and prioritize which to try and implement first.
JetBackup is aware of the product, but they haven't had an update yet that will perform the necessary work, from my understanding. It's in the works, but not available at this time.
Hello,

Thank you @WebJIVE and @cPRex for providing the above information! With regards to cPanel Mail Node support, we are currently targeting adding support for this feature on JetBackup v5.1.13 which we expect to be out by the end of the 2nd quarter. We are currently in version 5.1.10 and are close to releasing the next update (v5.1.11) in the coming weeks to the EDGE Tier. With that said, please note that JetBackup support for this feature will be available on cPanel v96 and up.

Yuri

Aug 22, 2006
Brazil
I have a doubt about quota.

Currently in normal all-in-one cPanel if an account try to use more space than it's limits, the S.O's quota prevents that new files to be written.

How this works in with mail node? Ex.: If I create an account with 10G limit and use 6GB with public_html files + 6GB with mails, how the cpanel prevents it become over quota? Suspending the account?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@Yuri - the quota is spread across both the web server and the mail node system, so we track the usage in both locations. e never auto-suspend an account for being over quota, but the server admin will get a notification and the user would experience errors just like they do now without mail node.

Yuri

Aug 22, 2006
Brazil
Sorry but I still don't understand how this work.

If I set 10G quota in an account today how the disk quota will work? What will be the limit in master node and mail node? 10G for each? And how could each node will know the other node usage to prevent the overusage?

Ex.: Imagine the following scenario.
I create a new account with 10G of disk space limit. How the quote would be set for each node? 10G each? So if I upload a 5GB file to public_html, what would prevent the mail node to write more than 5G of messages?