Operating System & Version
CentOS 7.9.2009
cPanel & WHM Version
CENTOS 7.9 virtuozzo [cp1] v98.0.7

Gavster

Apr 3, 2002
Hi All -

Latest update on my box is failing - I'm seeing this in the logs:

[2021-09-24 23:32:14 +0000] ***** FATAL: Failed to stage “cpanel changes” because of an error: Failed to deserialize staged_files and digest_lookup from: /var/tmp/29897.ANEL_SCRIPTS_UPDATENOW_STATIC_CPANELSYNC__.52355f0f.tmp because of an error: (XID epqknc) The system tried to parse a [asis,JSON] buffer from the caller â<U+0080><U+009C>(eval)â<U+0080><U+009D>, but the [asis,JSON] parser received no data. at /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updatenow.static-cpanelsync line 53469.

Contents of /etc/cpupdate.conf:

CPANEL=release
RPMUP=daily
SARULESUP=daily
STAGING_DIR=/usr/local/cpanel
UPDATES=daily

Has anyone else seen this problem? If so, were you able to fix it?

ankeshanand

Mar 29, 2021
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It is always recommended by me to set UPDATES=manual in production Servers.
You can Try the following:
Code:
/scripts/upcp --force
which will fix the error.
If the Server is already on the new cPanel Version and you have problems with Server, Try:
Code:
/scripts/upcp --sync
which will Sync cPanel Files with the Same Version.

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@Gavster this could be due to various reasons. If cPanel force update doesn't solve the issue the best if you Submit a Ticket directly with cPanel staff so they can have a closer look for you.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It is always recommended by me to set UPDATES=manual in production Servers.
We definitely don't recommend doing this as that means users have to manually update their systems. Choosing Stable or Release is more than enough for most users to have a fully-functioning system, but also ensure they are getting the latest security udpates.

As for the update error, when we've seen that in the past it is related to missing downloads happening earlier in the update. I'd recommend checking the firewall settings on the machine to ensure there are no connection issues. Running this command may give you more output that is relevant to the issue:

Code:
/scripts/upcp --force | grep -Ei "(fail|error)"