The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Versioninfo changed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by khorinis, Sep 8, 2010.

1. khorinis

khorinis Well-Known Member

Hello,
    i saw today that there is a update for cpanel and i did it. Now i see only this lines as version and not anymore as such as detailed from before (cpanel version, whm version, etc):

That was it. I'm talking about the info at whm in the top right corner.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Versioning system has changed

The cPanel version numbering system has changed. One change that has been made is that the build tree (STABLE, RELEASE, etc.) is no longer displayed in the WebHost Manager and cPanel interfaces.

The following document explains the versioning system:

cPanel/WHM Versions and Release Process

cPanel 11.26.0 is a republication of 11.25.0 with no new features, but some fixes included. This begins the system of using odd major values (27) for development releases (EDGE and CURRENT), and even major values (26) for production releases (RELEASE and STABLE).

Also, a distinct version number for WHM and for cPanel is no longer reported. One version is reported, and that version encompasses all revisions to both interfaces, because they are part of the same product.

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Still available

The build number is still available in /usr/local/cpanel/version:

Code:
    # cat /usr/local/cpanel/version 
    11.26.9-RELEASE_48422

4. MaraBlue

MaraBlue Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I can see reasons for changing the version numbering system. I can't see any reason for not displaying it *somewhere* handy.

5. MaraBlue

MaraBlue Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    True, but not in WHM. I really shouldn't have to login to cPanel or fire up SSH just to find the version.

6. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I understand how more detail may be desired; I personally very much like having the ability to see "very verbose" information anywhere it is available. Please keep in mind that the build number is significantly less relevant using the new, simplified version numbering. Using the new version numbering each new build that is published will now have an incremented version number (instead of, potentially, only an incremented build number), and this new version number should be all that is needed to effectively identify the installed version of cPanel.

7. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The version number is fully displayed in WHM and cPanel. The two version numbers given in this thread are 11.26.8 and 11.26.9.

The 5 digit number that used to display as part of the number ( e.g. 11.25.0-12345 ) is no longer part of the version number and will soon disappear completely, including from the version file. The build number is now the final segment of the version number. From the quoted examples these would be 8 and 9.

The tier distinction ( e.g. STABLE ) is an indication of update frequency preference and often has little correlation to the version number.

8. Ivan A

Ivan A Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Kenneth, Very bad change, it became much worse, because they could leave the name line and simply remove the number of build ..

Do please, something like:
    WHM 11.26.8 - STABLE
    or even just a single line of the first letter of S / R / C / E

9. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Please help me understand how removing the tier name made something worse. What is worse? What point am I missing? :confused:

Also, we didn't remove the build number, we replaced it with a counter, which increments for each build of the version. For example with 11.26.9, that is the 10th build, or release, of version 11.26 (the counter is zero based). The 9 is the build number.

10. Ivan A

Ivan A Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry, not quite correctly written.

I had entered, not quite fit in WHM, no longer displays the name "STABLE / RELEASE etc."

I think it is better to do something like this:
    WHM 11.26.8 - STABLE
    WHM 11.26.8 - RELEASE
    WHM 11.26.8 - CURRENT
    etc..

11. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    +1 for displaying the tier/train.

Not like we are desperate for space up in that corner. I'm missing the value of removing it. When logging into a system, it was nice to see, at a glance, not only the build, but what tier/train the box is running.

Again, what is the value to a server owner to have this information removed?

Scott

12. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If I may counter your question with a question, what value does display of the tier have for you?

Why do you like to see STABLE et al. in the display? How does the tier display help you?

Please understand, I'm attempting to understand why, or how, this change (removal of the tier display) is unwanted.

13. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ken, when you log into someone's WHM server, isn't it valuable to you to see that they are running STABLE, CURRENT, RELEASE or EDGE?

I can see good reasons for knowing... and I can't think of any for not displaying the information (saving space?)

- Scott

14. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Speaking from a personal view point, no I don't find the tier useful. What I find useful is the version number as it tells me about the product currently installed on the server.

15. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK, fair enough. :)

But now you have to answer my other question: What is the value to us server admins, having it removed?

Personally, I like Stable, and I want all my servers to be running Stable at this time (especially when Stable starts getting new features faster). When I am logged into WHM, I find it valuable and REASSURING that I am on the right tier.

You've taken this reassurance away from me. But if it means that cPanel is better somehow, it may be an even trade. I just don't understand yet the VALUE or removing this information.

- Scott

16. Ivan A

Ivan A Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Kenneth, Please add in Tweak Settings option to display "STABLE, CURRENT, RELEASE or EDGE" in WHM or not, this will solve this situation for all, just who is really convenient to have this information to be displayed ..

17. Kent Brockman

Kent Brockman Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi there Kenneth. I can understand the new numbering system since it's more intuitive and simpler that complex build numbers. Ok till now.

But, you say that "the version number tells you about the product currently installed on the server", but I must refer to the changelog: if today you are using 11.27.3 you surely must be using the EDGE tier, but if you are on 11.26.8, you may be using any of the 4 tiers! So please explain me/us at this point WHY don't you find the tier info useful? I think the tier data may bring some instant clues when troubleshooting a given problem... or are we wrong? Please clarify.

BTW, the changelog versioning must be updated soon from now on, deleting the build numbers, since that info is useless and confuse users.

Thank you

18. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Removing the tier makes no sense.
    Maybe the developers working with the code know 11.26.9 is whatever it is. But as a server admin, we want to see at a glance what tier we are on.

Personally, I also do not understand the 'need' to remove the info. It cannot be for space or removal of clutter.

quick: WHM 11.27.3 = what tier am I on?
    If tier is not important to know, then why have different tiers?

Also, the new numbering system. Are you not being bold thinking you will have no more than 9 versions before going stable? Or will you go to .11?

If for some reason you do not want to show E/C/R/S, then what if you factored it into the numbers.

11.27.(01-49) Edge
    11.27.(50-99) Current
    11.28.(01-49) Release
    11.28.(50-99) Stable

That way, we could truly know what tier is in use. Though, letters/words are so much easier.

Perhaps you assume that server admins just 'know' their servers? Or if we help someone else, we will have no problem taking the extra step to look for the tier?

very odd decision

19. Ivan A

Ivan A Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    +1...

Kenneth, please resolve the situation on this issue for the next update, though not very convenient ...

Thanks you..

20. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK, everyone, there are many of you and only one of me :)

I'm working on responses to the various points raised herein, but it will take me some time as forum monitoring and posting is only a tiny part of what I do at cPanel. I hope to have this response online today (Sept 13, 2010) or tomorrow (Sept 14, 2010).

Your patience is appreciated, as well as your feedback.

Yes, I primarily posted this so you know I'm still listening :)