The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very annoying WHM DNS Zone Edit Bug

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by nxds, Oct 30, 2012.

1. nxds

nxds Well-Known Member

Unable to modify the "mail" record in a cPanel zone from the default CNAME to any A record. When I attempt to save the change I get an "invalid data A:" popup even though the change is perfectly valid.

E.g. Wish to change

mail 3600 IN CNAME domain.tld.

to:

mail 3600 IN A <valid IP address>

produces the error message. Even changing the CNAME to an A record containing the server's own main IP produces the error.

Only workaround I have found is to make change in user's cPanel interface (how lame?) or edit raw zone file with a text editor from the command line.

PLEASE FIX THIS AS IT HAS BEEN A BUG FOR AGES NOW AND IS STILL IN 11.34.0!!!! :mad:

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Can you link me to another thread on this topic? I was able to locate this one, but that seems to have been an issue with the cPanel theme being used:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/advanced-dns-dns-zone-edit-bug-270081.html#post1136682

In WHM > DNS Functions > Edit DNS Zone, I am able to edit this as you have posted:

3. nxds

nxds Well-Known Member

Sorry for the rant, but it was really getting on my nerves! I am using WHM and only have the X theme. Further testing seems to indicate the problem occurs in IE, but not in Chrome or Firefox. I am currently using IE10 on Windows8 Pro in compatibility mode, but I have had similar problems in previous versions of IE under Windows 7. Is this a javascript IE bug, and is there a workaround within WHM/cPanel?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    What happens if you turn off compat mode in your browser? Is there any difference?

If you suspect a bug here, please do open up a report at this link: http://go.cpanel.net/bugs

Thanks!

5. mreams

mreams Registered

I had the exact same problem! After clicking on the compatibility mode view and trying again I was able to change the CNAME to A without the error. I am using IE 10. Thanks for the thread!