Very annoying WHM DNS Zone Edit Bug

nxds

Jan 6, 2006
Unable to modify the "mail" record in a cPanel zone from the default CNAME to any A record. When I attempt to save the change I get an "invalid data A:" popup even though the change is perfectly valid.

E.g. Wish to change

mail 3600 IN CNAME domain.tld.

to:

mail 3600 IN A <valid IP address>

produces the error message. Even changing the CNAME to an A record containing the server's own main IP produces the error.

Only workaround I have found is to make change in user's cPanel interface (how lame?) or edit raw zone file with a text editor from the command line.

PLEASE FIX THIS AS IT HAS BEEN A BUG FOR AGES NOW AND IS STILL IN 11.34.0!!!! :mad:

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
PLEASE FIX THIS AS IT HAS BEEN A BUG FOR AGES NOW AND IS STILL IN 11.34.0!!!!
Can you link me to another thread on this topic? I was able to locate this one, but that seems to have been an issue with the cPanel theme being used:
http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/advanced-dns-dns-zone-edit-bug-270081.html#post1136682

In WHM > DNS Functions > Edit DNS Zone, I am able to edit this as you have posted:

mail 3600 IN CNAME domain.tld.

to:

mail 3600 IN A <valid IP address>

nxds

Jan 6, 2006
Sorry for the rant, but it was really getting on my nerves! I am using WHM and only have the X theme. Further testing seems to indicate the problem occurs in IE, but not in Chrome or Firefox. I am currently using IE10 on Windows8 Pro in compatibility mode, but I have had similar problems in previous versions of IE under Windows 7. Is this a javascript IE bug, and is there a workaround within WHM/cPanel?

mreams

Registered
Jun 6, 2006
I had the exact same problem! After clicking on the compatibility mode view and trying again I was able to change the CNAME to A without the error. I am using IE 10. Thanks for the thread!