Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Very basic question: Ok to delete tarballs and directories?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Huusoku, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Huusoku

Huusoku Active Member

Hello cPanel community,

I have a really basic question but I thought I'd ask before I mess something up.

I have sometimes used our server (through SSH) to download and unpackage tarballs. I have always used PuTTY to do SSH work, but today I checked out using SFTP in FileZilla which is pretty nice (graphical based, helps me the Windows user ;) )

So now that I have a nice graphical folder display that I am familiar to, I noticed that there are many of these tarball files stored in the /root folder, and also their corresponding directories have been made in the /root folder.

For instance, here is a portion of my /root folder:
    Folders:
    /root/eaccelerator/
    /root/eaccelerator-0.9.5.3/
    /root/sphinx/
    /root/sphinx-0.9.8.1/

Files:
    /root/eaccelerator.tar.gz
    /root/eaccelerator-0.9.5.3.tar.gz
    /root/sphinx.tar.gz
    /root/sphinx-0.9.8.1.tar.gz

These files are there because I installed them on our server. I used the wget command to get the files from the internet and had the extracted right on the server. Then I used some other commands to install the programs.

My Question: Is it okay to delete these files and folders, or did the application get installed using those directories? In other words, if I have already installed eaccelerator and the Sphinx search indexer, will deleting the .tar.gz files and these extracted folders break the programs?

Thank you!
    Huusoku

#1 Huusoku, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You'd probably be fine, but the answer here is most always the same. If in doubt, back it up.

I'd move those items to a directory for future removal and check to see if anything breaks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Huusoku

Huusoku Active Member

Thank you very much, this is great advice. I will give it a shot!

Thanks
    Huusoku