The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very High Load Peaks crashing Apache

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by frednought, Jan 6, 2010.

1. frednought

frednought Member

Hi There

I've got a very annoying problem on my server, about once a day (at some point in the day) the load will suddenly go through the roof (112.49 or so) for half an hour.

During this time apache will crash a few times and the server will be inaccessible. Then after 30 mins is up it's back to normal.

This only came about after a rebuild of apache and a new version of cpanel updated itself last month.

It appears to be linked to mysql, but for the life of me (and my web host) we've been unable to pinpoint the problem. If the load problem starts and i'm in front of my pc i can restart mysql and the problem goes away as soon as the restart is complete.

So far i've checked for scripts and other problems that may be causing it, but had no luck at all. I've got a much more streamlined server now, but none of these fixes have helped. I've messed around with the mysql settings and this also hasn't helped. And i've repeaired all the databases, again no help.

When it happens i can log into whm fine, but can't access any sites. There are hunderds of apache processes queued up using CPU, but if you trace the process, they're all sitting there doing nothing except hogging cpu resources. It's almost like they're waiting for some other process to finish and then they can go.

If anyone has some experience of something like this happening or any pointers on what could be wrong i'd be most grateful as i've run out of ideas.

Many Thanks
    Hugh

2. fast lane

fast lane Registered

Wow. I am seeing this too. I am also seeing this issue as well:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/11-25-current-apache-restarting-every-hour-134281-p6.html

This started right after 11.25 was rolled out by Cpanel. I had no clue what was causing it. My NOC could not find the issue either. Error logs and Mysql slow queries showed nothing.

Here is the damage it is doing to me (CPANEL FIX THIS!!! - pretty please).. see attached daily load/logs (graphs)... total down time and requiring a restart of apache/mysql/etc at a minimum or waiting a LONG time for the loads to fall on their own (I dare not try):

Attached Files:

#2 fast lane, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. frednought

frednought Member

I posted this before i read the "apache updates every hour" thread and my problem is exactly the same as that one. Studying the logs i had graceful restarts every few minutes and then once twice a day i get load death.

Yesterday i forced all my log processing to be early hours of the morning only, set bandwidth to update once every 24 hours and manually restarted apache every 5-6 hours and so far (so far) it's been fine, i'll let you know how i go.

certainly the "graceful restarts" are no longer in the log files other than between 01:00 and 06:00

fingers crossed!

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Friendly Moderator Note

To better organize discussion and increase relevant attention of the topic this thread has been relocated into the cPanel and WHM Optimization forums: cPanel and WHM Optimization - cPanel Forums