Very high use of cpu in apache with whm-server-status calls?

Mayc

Oct 11, 2017
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello, since a few weeks ago I have a very overloaded server, normally runs on 4 and now on 9 or 10. I always see some http processes "nobody" even using 130% cpu and more and if I go to apache status I always see many whm-server-status calls in them. I really don't know how to go further debugging what's going on, any ideas? Thank you

Attachments

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
but it's normal to see so many processes whm-server-status calls in them???
Hello @Mayc,

It's normal to see requests to whm-server-status coming from your server's local address (e.g. 127.0.0.1) because Chkservd (WHM >> Service Manager) verifies Apache is running every few minutes. However, the image you uploaded shows remote IP addresses included in the request.

The image you provided also shows that you are using a third-party Varnish plugin. Can you confirm if you continue to see the requests to whm-server-status associated with remote IP addresses when Varnish is disabled?

Thank you.

yamaharr1

Jun 22, 2007
Funny this is the same as mine and started exactly the same time on 3 different cpanel servers.

They all went from 0.50 to 10 I've had cpanel, CL and a cpanel admin look at it and each team said it was this or that so I disabled or removed whatever it was stated the issue was yet the load remained.
I even moved 50 accounts off the server and still same.

Server
CloudLinux and litespeed
20Cores 84GB Ram SSD drives 200 users

Yesterday it is a user and clamd today it is the backups tomorrow something different.

The load remains but the cause is always changing
Low IO, plenty of Ram available about 20GB
WordPress website running real CRONs and litespeed cache

When you look in top you will see 3 or 4 users with maxed CPU sometimes a proccess will reach 500% CPU for a few seconds and those few users get the load to 10 or above. Then 2 seconds later it is something else then something else nothing constant. I was under the impression CloudLinux is supposed to control this exact type of issue.

Is yours the same where it isn't constant? Are you on a dedicated or a VPS?

skhristich

Registered
Verifed Vendor
May 23, 2019
kiev
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Funny this is the same as mine and started exactly the same time on 3 different cpanel servers.

They all went from 0.50 to 10 I've had cpanel, CL and a cpanel admin look at it and each team said it was this or that so I disabled or removed whatever it was stated the issue was yet the load remained.
I even moved 50 accounts off the server and still same.

Server
CloudLinux and litespeed
20Cores 84GB Ram SSD drives 200 users

Yesterday it is a user and clamd today it is the backups tomorrow something different.

The load remains but the cause is always changing
Low IO, plenty of Ram available about 20GB
WordPress website running real CRONs and litespeed cache

When you look in top you will see 3 or 4 users with maxed CPU sometimes a proccess will reach 500% CPU for a few seconds and those few users get the load to 10 or above. Then 2 seconds later it is something else then something else nothing constant. I was under the impression CloudLinux is supposed to control this exact type of issue.

Is yours the same where it isn't constant? Are you on a dedicated or a VPS?
Hello!
Possible in LiteSpeed off LVE support: Admin Console --> Configuration --> Server --> General (Check please)
If can you open a support ticket Submit a request – CloudLinux so we can take a closer look at your system? You can post the ticket number here and we'll link this thread to it.

Thank you.