The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

very sluggish performance

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by busterkat, Dec 10, 2010.

1. busterkat

busterkat Active Member

I have very sluggish performance, services go down and up, constant ipalerts, high load with low traffic, spamd and spamassasin crashes. No ssh, http, imap, mysql, ssl etc when this happens. Have not been able to use consistently now for 72 hrs.

The Planet or Softlayer seems unable to ANYTHING other than to reboot the server which helps only for very short time.

I did not just install anything prior to this problem which has been going on for a MONTH! Started intermittently, now constantly.

Drive was checked for errors. None.

top - 19:33:25 up 21:54, 3 users, load average: 89.17, 89.20, 90.63
    Tasks: 208 total, 3 running, 188 sleeping, 1 stopped, 16 zombie
    Cpu(s): 0.1% us, 0.2% sy, 0.0% ni, 0.0% id, 99.3% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.3% si
    Mem: 1024992k total, 1011452k used, 13540k free, 1460k buffers
    Swap: 2040212k total, 1553080k used, 487132k free, 33376k cached

Firewall off.

cPanel Stable, WHM 11.82
    Redhat ES 4.0
    RAM 1GB
    1.86 GHz 1066FSB
    250 GB

Help me!! Please!
    :eek:

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Why would you have your firewall off?

Swap: 2040212k total, 1553080k used, 487132k free, 33376k cached

That's not good.

How many accounts on the server? Are you aware of any of those accounts running out of date scripts that might be vulnerable? If not you might want to take a closer look at your accounts.

If you're unsure of how to proceed, you might want to hire a professional to help. We've got a forum for that here:
    Server Management and Server Repair - cPanel Forums

3. syslint

syslint Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I think you have a number of websites . This hardware seems an old box, may be consider upgrade hardware.

4. vimalkumar_k

vimalkumar_k Member

What about them? You might want to tweak your server, and/also need a hardware upgrade..

5. busterkat

busterkat Active Member

I turned firewall off to see if there was an effect. There wasn't but I can't get into the server to turn it back.-no SSL-no cPanel and no SSH.
    There's five websites on it. One is a wordpress blog.

I realize the box is old but it was working fine up till about two months ago.

Yes we have tweaked the apache settings. <IfModule prefork.c> section with the required perimeters for Apache to limit RAM and CPU usage. Worked OK for few hours then it bonked.

6. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I recommend verifying you have the latest cPanel version for your configured update tier; I only mention this because the provided cPanel version information does not appear valid nor matching the update tier specified (STABLE). The cPanel STABLE update tier does not yet have version 11.28 available, and I am not aware of a version number 11.82. As of the time of writing this message, the latest version for the STABLE update tier is 11.26 while the latest version for the RELEASE update tier 11.28. If your server is on cPanel version 11.28, please ensure your configured update tier is RELEASE with automatic updates enabled. If your server is on cPanel version 11.26, please ensure your configured update tier is STABLE with automatic updates enabled.

For reference, you may find your installed cPanel & WHM version number displayed in the upper-right corner of WebHost Manager (WHM), or you may also obtain the version number via root SSH access using the following command:
    Code:
    # /usr/local/cpanel/cpanel -V
    I also recommend to ensure that your OS has the latest maintenance release available. To the best of my knowledge the latest update of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) release 4 is that of version 4.8 (instead of 4.0). Ensuring your OS is up-to-date should resolve complications that may arise in older OS versions from issues already fixed by the upstream OS vendor.

For reference, you may find your installed OS release version in the upper-right corner of WebHost Manager (WHM), or for RHEL and CentOS you may also obtain the version number via root SSH access using the following command:
    Code:
    # cat /etc/redhat-release && rpm -qif /etc/redhat-release
    Additionally, please consider ensuring that you are using the latest available version of other software including but not exclusive to Apache/httpd, MySQL, PHP, and any third-party add-ons or plug-ins that may be installed. MySQL can be upgraded using WebHost Manager (WHM). EasyApache, via WHM or CLI/SSH, can be used to update both Apache/httpd and PHP, such as after a MySQL upgrade. WHM can also be used to update the OS or system software.

Reference menu paths and documentation:

7. tier2

tier2 Member
    PartnerNOC

I have seen this before when servers get compromised with a perl malware scanner. I would run top and look and see if there are several abnormal looking processes running. They will be eating up CPU like mad and will usually be running as one specific user. Be on the look out for processes that look familiar but are off by a little.

8. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It is definitely a good idea to scan for malware, but that's not always going to be the cause here. Maybe the server's just outgrown it's usage, it happens from time to time.

Start looking for malware, unusual nobody processes, unusual root processes, then look to see if you can upgrade. Also, it may be that you need to update your kernel, I've seen older kernels cause this issue as well.

9. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Worth mentioning as well if you haven't already considered it, but you may have failing hardware. Drives are the most prone to failure due to their mechanical nature, so running some drive fitness tests and/or S.M.A.R.T. checks would be wise.

I'm on the same page as Infopro tho: that swap usage is horrendous. With a single-drive setup like yours, that amount of swap usage is going to absolutely murder your disk I/O thruput.

10. InstantIT

InstantIT Registered

Your memory was fully used up. 1GB of RAM may not really apply on this server.

At the same time, check on your cpu load history for the last 3 days and compare on the differences if there was any use abusing the server. Take note on the cronjob that was setup recently.

11. trizzo

trizzo Member

Have you done a 'ps -auxwwf' ? That will at least tell you what is running and taking up the mem/proc. 'www' will include threads.