The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VERY strange issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ukdeveloper, Dec 16, 2008.

1. ukdeveloper

ukdeveloper Member

I have a cpanel VPS (running csf and lfd).

Some of my customers are complaining that they cannot see their websites or ANY other site on the server or even login to cpanel etc (basically they cannot hit the server, either by ping or tracert times out before seeing the server). Other customers however can see these and all sites.

So therefore I am assuming the server itself is denying them access for some reason.

I have checked the deny logs for csf and the IP addresses of those who cannot access their sites are NOT listed.

Can anyone recommend any steps i could take to track down why someone is not able to his the server at all.

Please bear in mind however im quite new to ths command line and shell approad to sorting things out.

Thanks

C.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. caeos

caeos Well-Known Member

this caused a vps to fail drastically on wednesday and ruin my nameservers at 1and1
    the only way i could access it was via proxu or remove csf.
    all the csf forums say are to check their vps checklist

4. stugster

stugster Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Temporarily disable the firewall in CSF and see if it really is causing the problem. Once it's disabled, ask a client to connect and see if that fixes it. If not, it might not be CSF.

5. wzd

wzd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The latest CSF and LFD that configserver installed on one of our other servers has some serious paranoa re: security. For example if a client tries to FTP into their account using Filezilla LFD blocks them for TCP scanning

I would recommend doing what stugster said : Disable CSF in the WHM plugins or by executing "/etc/init.d/csf stop" from command line (You need to be root to run the command)

With one of our VPS solutions (Prior to installing WHM VPS Optimized2) we were experiencing some unusual issues with loads and file system problems. Check what WHM you are running and what your load levels are (htop is a nice tool for this)

Hope any of that helps