The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very weird cpanel login problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 4u123, Jul 20, 2007.

1. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Customer complains that she cant login to cpanel - it wont accept her password.

I reset her password - tested it and asked her to try again. She logs another support ticket saying that its still not working.

I ask a member of staff to test it and this is what she came up with...

She entered the username and paasword in the login boxes and it rejected the password. She pasted the password into the same box a second time - still couldnt login. She tried a third time, just pasting the password in again without copying it again - it logged her in.

I tried - I logged in fine first time.

She tried again four times by logging in and logging out. The first three were accepted - the fourth was not. This is still using the same copied password.

I've logged in and out about 15 times myself now without any problems.

My experience tells me that usually this kind of thing is a typo issue and because I cant reproduce the issue myself, I'm thinking its got to be user error - but as I said above - my employee has just tried it and its rejected the password in the same way it is doing for the customer. The customer says she cant login at all - but she may only be trying once, then getting back to us.

I've never seen this happen before and I cant find any other posts on the forums with similar issues.

Could it be some kind of cookie issue ?

2. andyaav

andyaav Member

3. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

If it was pointing to the wrong server they would never be able to login. As I mentioned, she is pasting the password into the same dialogue box every time. The login box cant switch between two different servers.

Besides that, the domain automatically forwards to the server's hostname because we are using a wildcard cert.

4. Frimon86

Frimon86 BANNED

I had this problem before, make sure your password is not out of the normal like

bob$@#yay

You should have something in numbers like 7573 or a hard word that is not int he dictonary that only you know or something.

Are you still unable to login!??

5. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

The password is just ordinary letters and numbers. We asked the customer to keep trying until it eventually let her in. Only time will tell if its an ongoing issue. I think the problem is location specific which makes me think its a cookie issue. Ive never had the problem logging in from my pc using her details, despite trying to reproduce the problem many times.

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

It forwards to the hostname because that's how you have it set in WHM. I suppose you have your reasons for using cookie based login as well, but I wouldn't suggest it. For this reason/problem you're having, and the fact that htaccess is more secure.

7. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Yes, we have that set in WHM because we are using a wildcard cert. You have to use that setting if you want to make use of the cert.

I dont know anything about the login process in cpanel11 - we dont force a cookie based login in the settings though - it uses whatever the standard method is. I had no idea it was standard htaccess and presumed a cookie would be involved somehow.

#7 4u123, Jul 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  8. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

I would have her open a notepad or word pad empty doc and then type the password
    5-6 times, each time hitting the return/enter key after the password.

Make her do it with you over the phone if possible and tell her not to backup and correct
    any typos.

Its really possible her keyboard is messed up. I have seen this happen quite a few times over the years.

The fact she gets in now and then but not always would probably indicate a keyboard problem or something else stopping each key from correctly going into the password field.

Ya never know..........

9. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

You really should go thru your settings one by one in "Tweak Settings" section of your WHM and get familiar with what you have there.

Your use of a wildcard is not needed in this case I don't think, the server already has one for cPanel access.